Fig Tree Care (Article)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cajunbelle, Mar 5, 2007.

1. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

This is from the LSU Ag Center, but it should apply in general to all fig trees. There is some great info in it.

Homeowners are reminded of certain care fig trees need for good production. LSU AgCenter horticulturist Dr. John Pyzner examines fig cultural practices and fertilization.

The horticulturist recommends shallow cultivation to control weeds and grasses. A thick layer of hay or straw mulch will help to eliminate unwanted vegetation and conserve soil moisture. Nematode damage appears to be less important where trees are mulched. In addition, mulches help maintain desirable soil temperature and aeration. The fig is well suited to this practice, since roots are shallow in most soils. Never cultivate deeply around figs.

Continued here: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_offic ... g+Tree.htm

2. Loading...

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

While we lived in Black Canyon City, Arizona, we had a large Mission Fig tree. It was in the duck yard and provided shade for the ducks. There was always plenty of water around the tree for the ducks. Duck manure seemed the perfect nutrient for the tree and it had a huge crop of large black figs, year after year. Susie the goat enjoyed the fig leaves.
    dr

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have tried to get fig trees to grow but they always die.My dad had one on the south side of the house.It had so much fruit.It got taller than the house.

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Glenda, ours in on the south side of the house too. At home everyone grew their's on the south side of a shed, it made it easier to gather the fruit bc you could climb on the shed to get the the top. You cannot climb a fig tree, the limbs will break. My brother killed it bc he cut a root with the cane knife. Dad almost killed him.

6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Yes,they are fragile trees.I sure love fresh figs are good homemade fig preserves.