Fig Tree Help Needed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by chiropod, Oct 18, 2009.

1. chiropod

chiropod New Seed

I purchased and subsequently planted a black mission fig this past spring. It did well, however I am concerned about its viability as winter approaches. We live in the Southern NJ area, close to Philadelphia and although this is not a region that gets very cold stretches, it can happen. The tree does not have protection from the wind or cold. I was thinking of applying large quantities of hay to insulate the tree, which at this time is approximately 3.5-4' tall. Any other suggestions?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You could try covering the tree in garden fleece chiropod as it protects against frost, wind - even (if needed)- strong sunlight and helps keep the plant warm. Mulching around the roots is a good idea too.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I hope your fig tree does well. I think it will. I am a bit south of you in Maryland (near Baltimore). My two figs make it through the winter without additional protection. I might put some mulch around the bottom but I don't always get to it. They are in an area of the yard where they are protected from the wind and kept warmer in an "L" of the building. My neighbors tree is out in the middle of the yard where it gets more exposure to wind and weather. It makes it through the winter too but is generally not as big as mine are.

All that to say, I think yours would be fine if you mulch it well and wrap it up, especially as it is still so small. Good luck. They are special trees, arent' they?

5. chiropod

chiropod New Seed

Thanks for your reply daisybeans. I am worried about the winter winds since my tree will not have protection from my house. My thinking as it will need help until it is older and more established.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I think you're right, Chiropod. Based on what I've seen of mine and my neighbor's, I think once yours is established, it will be hardy there in South Jersey. Baby it for a couple winters. Did you get a couple of figs this year?

Here is what you have to look forward to! :stew1:

[​IMG]
    fig trees ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

7. chiropod

chiropod New Seed

Beautiful trees daisybean! We had a half dozen figs this year. Looking forward to next year.