Fireworks - can you buy them where you live?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Jul 2, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Here in Texas it is legal to buy and set off fireworks for the 4th of July, and for New Year's Eve. If there is no burn ban in effect, fireworks can be sold for 10 days preceeding the holiday.
    Honest to Pete, there is a fireworks stand right next to our volunteer fire department!
    We don't buy, or set off fireworks, and neither do our neighbors (a hay field is a wildfire waiting to happen). However, there are several fires each year caused by fireworks.
    Can you buy fireworks where you live? The local Lions Club used to have fireworks over a lake, and we could see the aerial ones from our patio. We enjoy the show, but worry about the after effects. :smt087

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The state makes it legal to sell in unincorporated areas of the state but each city and county sets laws in place concerning the sale, purchase and use of them inside their limits and there are some fireworks that the state bans the sale and use of. And if there is a city or county ban in place then that supersedes the state law.

Most Counties in north Texas have banned the manufacture, sale, storage, purchase and use of fireworks because of the drought even in the unincorporated areas. Carrollton where I live doesn't allow the sale, storage, purchase or use of them in the city limits. Almost all cities up here have banned the sale and usage in their city limits. The control has tightened up with the drought and past wildfires. And if you get caught bringing them into areas where they are banned the fine is hefty, the State Trooper presence is increased on the highways around fire works sellers.

State, County and City Fire Marshalls must approve the vendor and monitor their product, sale, clients (to make sure they are of age), building safety. So having one next to the volunteer fire department is probably a good thing.

But there are always some people who buy them somewhere and set them off in cities, therefore we stay at home on the 4th of July in case something lands on our house or yard.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

They sell them here, and as far as I know there are no rules to setting them off. I don't like fireworks, never have. Just noisy and stinky and serve no purpose in my opinion. Bah humbug ;)
    *edited to add that last night I was awoken to the sound of fireworks at about 10:30pm. It was the next door neighbors that set off the first few, and then they were going off all over the area. I get up at 4am for work and I go to bed early. I was NOT impressed to be woken up.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

They sell them in Pa but you can't be a resident of Pa to buy them. They ask to see your license. You can be from NJ and buy them but you can't set them off in NJ.

Does tht make sense? I live 10 minutes away from NJ.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Here in my city, they are only for sale on July 3rd and 4th. The towns around us have them for sale for a week prior to the 4th.
    The only fireworks I like are the big ones at the "shows". Estes Park CO. has a great display.
    I have never liked the backyard fireworks. Too loud, smelly, and messy. I hate the day after if people don't clean up after themselves. I was always a nervous wreak when my boys were growing up when the 4th came around. Luckily, they never had an accident, but I know people who have gotten burned and hurt.
    And then there is the trauma cause to countless pets!!

7. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Here in Ohio, it is legal to sell them, but illegal to set them off. Another really responsible law!

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

You can buy them and set them off here. However, I do not waste my money on them.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Capt is correct. You can buy them, but it isn't legal to set them off. What a stupid Law! You see Phantom Fireworks signs everywhere. then they ask you if you are going to set them off whan you buy them. well DUH, of course not. Why would anybody set them off? *big sarcasm here* What a foolish waste of money. I just want to look at them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

It is a total ban here in Malaysia but you can buy and play fireworks easily. I'm sure you know how it works!
    Just not long ago a house near to my old place was burnt down to the ground because of fireworks. The house was used to store fireworks and the owner was not prosecuted. He build a new and bigger house almost overnight.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Fireworks can not be bought here in Massachusetts unless you have a special license. I don't know anyone who sets them off illegally. Our town has a surprisingly big display (I live in a small town). I have always enjoyed the official displays! I love the colors, the booms, the fizzles, the pops!

Our town had its display last night (it is cheaper if it is not on the 4th) & it was great. The weather was terrible: it rained & drizzled until just before the fireworks started. The whole town was gathered in a sloping field, hunkered down under umbrellas, plastic raincoats, waiting. Actually it was only the adults who were hunkered down, the kids were all running around, playing chase, laughing, throwing frisbes, glow sticks, etc. They were having a ball. Fun to watch them.

My husband & I were glad we stayed, but also glad to get home to a warm & dry house!

12. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

In Florida you can buy them and set them off. They sell sparklers and smaller fireworks in Walmart, but the big ones are sold from tents on the side of the road. I hate it because they go off for days before and after the fourth and it scares all of our animals to death.

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You can buy fireworks year 'round here. But mostly they are for sale for New Year's, the 4th. And some people have taken to shooting them off on Christmas Eve! Really! Can you believe that!
    And since I'm out in the country... you can set them off. Folks from the city come to visit their friends or relatives just so they can play with the fireworks they bought, but can't set them off at their homes.
    I love a good firework show WHEN it's put on by a town or organization. But I think there's too much risk involved for the individual... both to property and life & limb. Wouldn't take much to wipe out a home or two with all this dry grass, weeds, brush around here.
    And like Eclectic said... the trauma it causes to our pets/animals. My dog, Sassy Marie, is terrified of loud noises. She's been staying inside the last couple of nights just because of the fireworks off in the distance. She'll be hiding and shaking the next few nights when EVERYONE will be setting them off.
    And don't get me started on the people who shoot their guns just to join in on the noise! :twisted:
    I tell people one of the signs of you getting old is when you wish it would rain over New Years and the 4th of July!

14. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

You can buy and set fire works off here. The dollar store has boxes of them for sale all year long. We have neighbours who love to set them off for no particular occasion. You just get to sleep and then the racket starts. Glad I don't have to get up at 4:30 in the morning anymore!

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It is a pity how easily obtainable these things are. they are soooooooo dangerous. When my Adrian decided he liked to play with fire at the ripe old age of 4...I decided to enroll him at the Akron Children's Hospital firestoppers program. I think he was the youngest one in there :rolleyes: and he had to do homework, but since he was so little I attended classes with him and the scary PICTURES of children being burned from sparklers and other fireworks type stuff was horrible. We have never allowed our children to play with those things. A sparkler gets hot enough to melt gold. The fireman who ran the class had his barn burned because of children playing with them.

There was a story just this week of a young man who caused a girls death by throwing a sparkler in the home. She died of smoke inhalation. Sad, just sad.

16. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I just read in the Boston Globe that Massachusetts is one of only four states with a total fireworks ban. The other three are NY NJ & DE.