First orange tiger lily

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by daisybeans, Jun 5, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Well pardon me for complaining but I had a perfectly awful day at work and was in such a grumpy mood when I got home... I was so surprised to see this first orange tiger lilly smiling at me from the back bed. I couldn't help but smile back. :stew2:

These are just the regular tiger lillies, nothing fancy... someone called them "ditch lillies" because they tend to grow wild in ditches and uncultivated places so they fit is well in my yard! They grow EVERYWHERE around here. In fact, they are on the invasive list for Maryland.... I myself have a bezillion... but I like them. They are blooming early...

[​IMG]
    1st tiger lilly -- June 4th 2009 ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I'd love to say that we had gorgeous wild flowers like your Tiger Lilies Daisy. Sadly we don't but I really enjoyed seeing yours. Neither wonder it made you smile finding it blooming in your garden. :-D I hope it will be the first of many to burst into flower for you.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That was nice of you to say Eileen. They are a pretty wild flower and here I am thinking of them as a little ordinary I guess. I think there will be many -- look at all buds and this is just a little bit of them in one area of my yard.

[​IMG]
    a few tiger lillies. ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is a lovely-looking thing. It must be some show when the bezillions are all bloming at the same time. I'd like to see that! :eek:
    I have a stand of lilies very similar to these myself and they have a spot that one can't miss when noseing-around the garden.
    Yours look fresh and beautiful.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad day at work today, but I know that seeing this orange beauty surely brought that winning smile back to your face.
    I can just see you now grinning and oooh-ing and ahh-ing as you looked and spoke to it. Perhaps running yiour forefiunger across it's orange petal.

Don't flowers add to to our overall happiness every time?

Thanks for showing this beauty.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Yup. Every time, Sjoerd, every time. And if there isn't something blooming in my yard, there will be some pretty thing in someone else's on Garden Stew, along with a helpful post or note of cheer. What a great arrangement.

I surely did speak to this lily. I said -- Oh look at you! and it said -- I wanted to be the first one the Stewbies saw!

I'll post a pic of the whole blooming bunch of 'em shortly. Another week or so and it will be a riot.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh if all those buds open at once what a show they're going to make for you Daisy. :-D I'll look forward to seeing piccies of them all when they bloom.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I just love your Tiger Lilies.I wish they grew wild here in Texas.I will be waiting to see them all in bloom that will be a great site to see.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It's so bright and cheerful, no wonder it made you smile. :D It even made ME smile. :D

Is Tiger Lilies an ordinary common name for Hemerocallis where you live?

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ok Daisy--I can't wait to see them.

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hey Droopy! Thank you for reminding me to look up the Latin name. Hemerocallis fulva is the name. The common name that I know is Tiger Lily, yes, and I read where Tawny Daylily, Common Daylily and Orange Daylily are also common names. Here's a link about plants that are considered invasive in different parts of the US. It's kind of interesting.

http://www.invasive.org/weedcd/species/3407.htm

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

That was a very interesting link, daisybeans. I know we've got some perennial pests here in Norway that the government has asked us to remove from our gardens if we have them.

13. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Well your tiger lily has sure cheered me up today daisybeans. It's a realy miserable, wet, cold day here but your bloom really me made smile :p

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Here in Wisconsin we call those the ditch lily. I dug mine up in a field next to my Mothers house..I brought them to the last couple houses I have lived. We call the ones with speckles or dots on the face, tiger lily. Isn't it strange how the names are different in different areas.? I love them both..

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

One man's invasive is another's wildflower I guess, huh, Droopy?

GG- glad it cheered you. As you can see, it was raining the day it bloomed and cheered me just the same.

Sherry -- I think I may have heard the term ditch lily from one of your posts, maybe. I agree -- it's interesting how common names develop in different places. I can see why the speckled faces would be called tigers... I would take some of these with me if I moved too!

I used to have a little tabby cat named Lily and she used to think she was so brave prowling around the yard (she wasn't at all, just thought she was!), I used to call her Tiger Lily.