Flexum Hybrid peppers trying to bloom, snip or let them?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Jun 9, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I don't know anything about growing them, all I know is it got warm here for 2 days, mid 50's low 60's and they are trying to bloom. I have them in my greenhouse thing so they may be warmer than that.

I need to know if I should let them bloom or if I should snip off the blooms and try to get it to fill out more for more fruit later? I don't even have them in pots yet, they are in 4 inch peat starter pots so they don't even have a good foundation of soil and fertilizer to thrive. The roots are coming out in a burst of growth form the warmer weather.

I do know they are "supposed" to bloom all season long and produce fruit so I guess leaving them shouldn't be a bad thing.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Pepper plants will continue to grow and fill out without any modifying. It would help if it were out in the sun. They need that sunlight !! Otherwise like tomatoes they get tall and spindly.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

It is out in the sun for the most part, the greenhouse is in direct sunlight 5-6 hourds a day. I don;t want to put them out yet because the lows are still 50 or under and I don't want to kill them. Is the only thing I have kept alive so far veggie wise.

They aren't spindly, I don't think so anyway. Will post a picture of them in a couple minutes. I did transplant them into larger pots and fertilized them so hopefully that will help a lot. Bone meal in bottom, slow release in a trough and tomatoe/pepper liquid ferts to watter them into their new pots.

5. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

They are only about 12-14 inches tall right now. Have to also remember that we have had a total of 6 days of sunshine here in 6-8 weeks. Maybe a peak here or there but it has been nothing but rain and clouds otherwise. Is going to warm up big time this weekend though so I need to have my peppers ready for this major change in temps. Everything has been outside for 6-8 weeks, even seedlings that I put out when the very first one poked through the soil and the rest made it out after I put them out. I also have sweet pickle peppers and sweet banana peppers in small pots but they haven't went wild throwing roots out of their peat pots, yet. I think I need to transplant them before that happens.

They are lanky but without any sunlight for so long I am glad they are doing as well as they are. Each leaf Y has new shoots also so maybe it will fill out nicely and produce a lot more fruit than one might expect. The top of them are packed with leaves so the recent nice weather, 1.5 days of sunshine has made a huge difference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

They look like good healthy plants. If you are not going to put them out for a while, just put them in a pot at least twice the current size. I realize our climates are different but here when the temps get that warm all are out in the garden. Only thing that will hurt them is a freeze or a frost. Which Texas has on occasion late in the season. At 50 or 60 degrees they might not grow much that you can see but those roots are spreading. At about 70 to 75 degrees the top growth starts and they bloom and produce peppers. Then the hotter it gets the better they do.

7. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Well so far so good wityh one flexum pepper plant. I put it out of the greenhouse 3 days ago and it has not shown any signs of wilting, sun burn or any other malodies so I have high hopes they are ready. It is another week at least here of average highs only reaching 60 and lows in the upper 40's to low 50's so not going to have any growth explosion anytime soon. I just hope the cold doesn't overcome all the hard work.