Flower Garden--Part 1

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi,

Some folks have asked to see my flower garden. I know they didn´t mean when it was asleep, but in order to see and know where the paths are, I wanted to show some winter and early spring shots first.
    The reason why I´m doing this will be apparent when I show the summer views. The layout and paths are almost invisible when photographing overviews. In order to see the paths and individual plots, you actually have to be walking on them.

My flower garden is not manuicured, neat and tidy. That´s not the sort that I want. I have what could be called `a cottage garden gotten out of control´, I suppose. It´s just that with the almost extreme neatness of the veggie gardens, I need something more relaxed to sit amongst.

There are three very small patios--the main, central patio, the east patio...and what I call `the Rivera`-- a little, narrow patio-strip behind the shed and bordering on the slootje (pronounced ´slow-tyah´, more or less), or small canal. The two ´mini patios´ are places to escape the sun. and get a little wind during the hottest part of the season.

An end of the winter shot±
    [​IMG]
    The rest are early spring and showing aspects gradually working from west to east-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Late spring. My partner will not agree to remove the Forget-me-nots until they have completely bloomed-out. They´re pretty, but it´s holding up the clean-up!
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad you posted these pictures Sjoerd as it lets our members see that allotments don't need to be simply for veggie growing. I love those arches and the different paths that create island beds throughout the plot. Thanks for sharing them with us all. :stew1:

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

very very nice Sjoerd, lots of inspiration there since i myself an venturing into (gulp) flower gardens. Thank you so much for posting, that is gorgeous.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you for the nice words, you two.
    You will be alright, Biita with your flower garden. Just remember it doesn´t all have to be done all at once.
    I do not have any doubts about your chances for success.

Advertisement
  6. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi Sjoerd

Walking in your garden must truly be like taking a journey. I like all the pathways and arches. I bet when everything is in bloom then it must be like going on an adventure in your flower garden.
    For a nosey person that would be the perfect garden - always wanting to see what is growing beyond what is visible until one actually goes through teh arhes into another section, etc. I really like it. 8)

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Ah, that is truly a nice, little garden! I like your winding paths and the little arches, and I can't wait to see what's growing on them. :D

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oooooh, thanks for letting us see your garden. I am really looking forward to seeing it when everything is in full growth and blooming.

9. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Your garden is so nice. The differences in the pathways. Some brick but some gravel too. We have used redwood chips down 1 pathway in the middle of our garden. Have you ever used any kind of woodchips? Your trellises look so fun to walk through. I like the greenhouse in the 3rd picture back to the right-do you know the size? I'd like some building info if you don't mind. Thanks for sharing your picts.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

What a wonderful journey .I am wanting
    to see it all in bloom.Its wonderful just to hear you describe it.

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

What I would give to have only half that amount of gardening space. It will be absoulutely beautiful this spring. Can't wait for the pictures :stew2:

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you each and every one for your kind and encouraging comments. I will try and finish weeding-out the fotos soon, as I can't show too many. As I said, it is very difficult showing the garden in bloom...it just all sort of looks grown together and you can hardly tell what is what on fotos. But I will do my best to give a good idea.

Petunia, the gravel paths aren't gravel...they are wood chips. Heh heh heh. I go out and collect garbage bags full of them from the county government dumping places for free.
    The exact measurements of the little greenhouse I do not know without looking, but it's something like 2½ meters x 3 meters. Very small, as you can see, but I get an enormous amount of veggies out of it each year. I replace the dirt in there each season with new compost and garden soil. I have to remove the glass out of it each fall because when the canals freeze the hooligans get onto the rail road tracks and throw stones until each pane was broken. Sad.

Well just let me know what you require in terms of info and I will look it up and send it to you. I have it in my files and can lay my hands on it at a seconds' notice.
    You can do that by PM if you want so as to not fill up forum space with the info.

Kuntrygal, "Half the space"? I thought that in america everyone had big yards. Or at least that it was usual. What's the yards situation in TX?

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Well everything is BIGGER in Texas. :D But not when you live in a mobile home community. :( I probably couldn't keep up with the garden if I had a bigger yard :rolleyes: So I will just be happy with what I do have. And hope this year I will be able to physically take care of some flowers. Last year I had major back surgery, and did well to take care of myself :D

14. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sjoerd, I love your garden and am anxious to see it in full bloom The forget-me-nots are lovely. What is the vine growing on the shed in the last picture. Thanks for sharing your garden.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see what you mean KG, I suppose that the ground space is very limited there. I live in an upstairs flat and have no ground space at all. It's the pits in that respect. I suppose it's one reason that I spend so much time at the lottie during the summer months.

The "vine" growing on the shed is actually a shrub, that I have pruned to be tall. It's a Ceanothus...
    Ceanothus impressus 'Victoria'. It has a nice, honey-like fragerance. That thing forms visible buds in december here!

16. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, I LOVE it! I can't wait to see some more later in the season.
    I do the same thing with my forget-me-nots Sjoerd. And I make sure to shake out LOTS of seeds :)

Sjoerd likes this.