Flowers in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Oriental.Lily, May 19, 2009.

1. Oriental.Lily

Oriental.Lily New Seed

I live in Wisconsin and I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions for flowers to plant. My faves are tulips and oriental lilies. I like Marigolds, too. Thanks. :stew1:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Picking out flowers for a garden is really a matter of what you like the looks of, what will do well in the shade or sun in your yard and what will grow in the soil conditions in your yard and USDA planting zone. What colors you like and don't like, etc.

Pick an area of your yard where you want to create the first garden, watch the sun and shade pattern for a few days to see if it gets full sun which is at least 6 hours of sun a day, part sun or total shade.
    Then find some garden centers in your area and wander thru them to see what will grow in your area and what plants they have that will work where you plan on putting them.

Even then, you will need to know how much care those plants will need. Some can require a lot of water or special feedings, that's where plants that are native to your area come to the forefront. Native plants do not require special treatment, they will live on the amount of rain that nature gives them and that keeps you water bill low.

4. jungseed

jungseed Seedling

I can tell you what is happening in my yard. You are a little north of me, but I don't think too far to matter.
    The tulips, daffodils and crocus are all done. My crabapple tree is done.
    The fern bed is in full green. The lilacs are blooming. The apple blossoms are out in full force.
    The iris are budding.
    the peonies are growing. The roses are greening up. My poppy bed has lovely fuzzy green growing taller. The spirea, tamarix and my hosta bed are coming along nicely.
    I think everyone in WI should have peony. They are very easy to grow here compared to other climates.
    Do let us know what you pick to plant this year.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Some of my favorite plants were given to me by a neighbors or friends. :D I still share and get plants from neighbors and friends. It's a great conversation starter for meeting people in your neighborhood. (Almost as good as having children.) These plants will do the best in your area and makes for a happy/safe place to live by building community. Ask your neighbors what they might suggest and who knows what you might get if they are gardeners. :stew1: