foliage on my marigolds have gone rusty??

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by lukeypukey, Jul 6, 2011.

1. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

planted a nice row of marigolds along the front of my veg plot as it "apparently" keeps some pests away. been in place around 3 weeks and alot of the foliage has started to look rusty??? thats the best way i can describe it. any ideas??

2. Loading...

3. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

[​IMG]
    calendula rust????? ( photo / image / picture from lukeypukey's Garden )

here is the problem, not sure what it is and can't seem to find any info on it

[​IMG]
    calendula bloom ( photo / image / picture from lukeypukey's Garden )

the first bloom

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That looks like a nutrient deficiency. I was thinking maybe you had a rust-like fungus, but I have never seen that on marigolds. so thanks for the picture. Give it a side dressing of some compost or fertilizer and see if that helps. Good luck

5. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

thanks carolyn, i'll give them a feed and see how they go :-D

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have never had that problem but with mine this summer something is chewing on them...I think it is a bug.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am tending to guess that it may have something to do with coolness, wind and water exposure.
    I wonder what the underside of the leaf looks like.
    If this discolouration was indeed caused by the elements, the calendula will grow on through it without problem.

I will mention though, that you have what appears to be a worse problem afoot--I believe that I see Equisetum arvense poking it's unwanted three little heads heads out of the soil near what could be a paving stone at the bottom of the first foto.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, You are really observant and I think you are totally correct. I have a patch of these in a raised bed with a hemlock on it and it is awful to get rid of it. :( They came in the soil for the raised bed. YUCK!

9. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

you would be correct, i have masses of horsetail that im struggling to shift. i spend the majority of my time in the garden pulling the stuff up!! :scheming: i've tried glyphosate which just damaged the green up top and it soon grew back. i've been advised to let it get some good growth then go around and crush it a little by standing on it, and then spraying again with a glyphosate and parrafin mix . . . see what happens after that.

10. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

i did a bit of research when i discovered it in my garden and it apparently survived the ice age!! the roots have been found 7 meteres down, if you have it carolyn i'd try and shift it fast before it gets out of hand