Forcing Crocus Bulbs

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Jan 15, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

At the end of the holiday season I found a set of three cute vases with three different color Crocus bulbs for forcing. I have never tried forcing bulbs in the winter but thought I would try.

The cuties have been sitting in their respective vases with their little bottoms barely touching water just as the directions directed. They were all three already putting out leaf nubs before I bought them but I have had them for a little over two weeks and none of them have roots. The leaf nubs are getting minutely longer and showing some green so I know they are viable but the lack of roots has me wondering if water is such a good idea.

Does anyone have experience with the process? I am really tempted to stick them out in the yard this week and whether they grow and bloom or not they will be planted there eventually.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never actually tried to force bulbs Toni as I'm the type that buys them and plants them straight out into the garden. I did find a website on forcing though that you might like to read. :-D

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1556.htm

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I did the water thing the blub didn't really fully bloom never tried it in dirt.