From Containers to the Earth

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Mar 14, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Over the last couple of weeks or so, I've been moving my flowers from their containers to their newly created beds... and planting seeds and seedlings.
    :smt026

Here's what I've done so far:
    In the butterfly garden area I've put in PassionFlower, Butterfly Bush, Phlox, Aster, Cardoon, Rue, Serena Angelonia and Indigo Spires Meadow Sage. I have some Milkweed to go there too (just started the seeds indoors the other day).

Beds 1-5 are along my "divider fence".
    In bed #1 I've put in Pride of Barbados and Mandevilla Alice de Pont.
    Bed #2 is where the Dutch Irises are. I just planted the Hyacinth Bean Vine behind them.
    Bed #3 has Mexican Petunias and Kalanchoes.
    Bed #4 has Blue Plumagos and Confederate Star Jasmine. Just put in some Red Hot Pokers. Have Coneflowers to go there too if the seeds ever sprout.
    Bed #5 has a Pride of Barbados, Pink Jasmine and Red Hot Pokers. Also want to put Coneflowers there too.

Along the back fence are 3 Lantanas (2 Camaras and 1 Orange). My Dallas Red one didn't make it through the winter. :'( I have an Oleandar that will go there too along with an Elephant Ear.

Once the gate/archway is finished, I'm going to plant orange and yellow trumpet vines there.

Along the privacy fence, I've put in 2 Confederate Star jasmine, a Dwarf Palmetto. I moved the Red Leaf Hibiscus from the front bed back there too to hide the compost bin.

I made a bed just for lilies surrounding the BIG container with the apple tree. I transplanted 2 of my mom's orange daylilies and added Night Beacon, El Desperado, Red Rum, Dream Legacy and a mix of Asiatic Lilies.

Also just picked up 2 Azaleas (Pink Ruffles and Fashion) and just put them by themselves in random spots.

I made a bed next to the garage/shed/workshop. It has my grandma's old rose bush, a yellow rose I just bought and transplanted another rose from the front of the house there. I also planted Cosmos between them (just noticed sprouts today!)

Planted a Texas Star near my brothers storage building.

Along the fence down the driveway, I've been putting extra cannas and Butterfly Ginger Lilies there.

I still have a few things that need to be planted... once I decide where: Sunflowers, 4 o'clocks and a White Dinner Plate Hibiscus.

Oh yeah... there's the "cactus/succulent area". I have a century plant there and a cactus. Going to put in a Sega Palm, Soap Aloe, Aloe Vera and some other succulents.

Today there is a chance of rain all day... so far it's just been a slow drizzle...which is working out pretty well for the new little seedlings.

Hope to get everything mulched by the weekend.
    And I have to make myself stay away from any garden centers! Except... I do have a few hanging pots that are empty!
    8)

eileen and cindyfisch like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well gee, Cheryl, when are you going to get some flowers and color going around that place! :rolleyes:
    It sounds lovely, and you know we will all expect photos as things come into bloom. Your flower combinations are great, as are the placement of the shrubs and bulbs. I think you could have a career as a landscape designer.
    You are making the most of your little country place, which will soon be a tourist destination!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Holy cow Cherylad, you sure have been busy! I'm still waiting for snow to melt and ground to thaw before I can even start my spring garden clean up. You did just remind me that I need to pot up my Canna's :)

5. cherylad

It has taken me a couple of years to get to this point. If everything comes at least close to what I have in mind... I'll be thrilled!
    And Jane... at this rate... I could never make a living at landscape design! :D

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Who's been busy enjoying herself outdoors then? Am I jealous - YES!! I would love to have been there beside you planting and planning. The arch will look great with those trumpet vines in full flower. Oh I can hardly wait to see photographs of everything. Fingers crossed that all your seeds germinate for you and that the weather holds for you to get the mulch down.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Busy is an understatement!! We know where to find the Garden of Eden in South Liberty County. No apple trees....Right? :)

Jerry

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I can't wait to see pictures either!!! It's been so fun watching the development of your gardens!!! It's going to be awesome!

9. cherylad

I've already started clearing out old photos from my camera. I do fear you all will get so very tired of me!
    :D

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Cheryl, never for a moment think we would tire of your photos. As members of the GardenStew community we share our experiences with each other, our thoughts, our joys, our concerns and so much more. Like words our photos express our efforts as we tend to our gardens, and plants and our daily lives. From one to a hundred I look forward to each and every one. Keep them coming.

Jerry