Furry Plant, Side of Road

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Bryby, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Bryby

Bryby New Seed

Hey, here is a plant i found on the side of the road in a few places here in Western Mass. I don't think i've seen anything like this growing around here. It's quite unusual. I swear i have seen it in someones garden before, though. The plant is absolutely covered in hairs. It feels like felt or suade or something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That is Mullein Bryby :)

4. Bryby

Bryby New Seed

Awesome. Thank you so much! Now, any suggestions on how i should eat it? ;-)

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You really need to take a course in herbal remedies and what can and can not be taken internally.
    Not all things that grow can be eaten.

Parts of the Mullein have been used as candle wicks because of it's high flammability, parts have been used as hair dye, the leaves have been used as an insecticide. The seeds are toxic and the plant itself is mildly narcotic.

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Toni, how do you just whip this great info out so quickly??? I hope Bryby was really just joking :rolleyes:

7. Bryby

Bryby New Seed

Thank you, toni. But no, i was serious. Evidently it makes a good tea for cough and sore throught. http://www.vitaminstuff.com/herbs-mullein.html Howver, now that i know it's "mildly narcotic" i will reconsider.

I've learned that this plant can be used medicinally. "Research indicates some of the uses as analgesic, antihistaminic, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antioxidant, antiviral, bacteristat, cardio-depressant, estrogenic, fungicide, hypnotic, sedative and pesticide are valid." This site says it is the poisonous seeds that have the narcotic properties, though. http://www.altnature.com/gallery/mullien.htm