Garden Decorations, what kind and where should I put them?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Tina, May 14, 2008.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Now I have a hard time deciding where to put in the garden decorations. Please can you help me out?Here are the lawn pictures with the pictures of bare areas as well.
    Picture from the front:
    [​IMG]
    Picture from the back (where there is a raised area with Rhodo's and roses):
    [​IMG]
    The bare spots(there are more like these):
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Forgot to mention the inside edges have starwberry and Gladiolus growing and the front edge is the flower bed when I planted snapdragons and sunflowers.

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Nobody with suggestions?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What kind of garden decorations are you going to use? Will they be in addition to the little planted areas that will fill in the bare spots or something that you could plant around?

We need more info in order to come up with suggestions.
    ;)

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

No clue, Toni.
    I am open to anything you guys think will look good. Remember I am 'a 1 year old' gardener with zero experience with garden decorations.But something cheap will be wonderful.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I know what I would do. I've done it already here. :D We covered the whole problem area with newspapers, bark chips and acid-soil plants, but that's our taste. We started planting in the bare patches, and then continued outwards as we had the money and the time.

I would have liked an arch in the narrow area between your path and the stone wall too, to break up the evenness and make "rooms" in the garden.

What's important is what you yourself would like, and how handy you are. Since there's a stone wall there, more stone will tie everything together visually.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Have you looked thru the Garden Junk forum here?
    GardenJunk

There are so many different styles of decorating, what do you like especially....old fashioned, rustic, Goth, English Cottage or another type?

Let your imagination run wild, go to a local thrift store and look around. You can find baskets, old stew pots (in honor of GardenStew of course), the crockery liner from an old CrockPot, wagons, old boots, wheel barrows...basically anything that will hold dirt will make a great planter. The baskets and pots can either be placed on the ground or on an inexpensive plant stand. Besides being planters they all make great garden decorations when painted up. Leave them rustic too if you like that look.

Find an old bowling ball (call a local bowling alley to see if they have some to give away) either paint it or glue on half-marbles or pennies to cover it,put on a plant stand or place in a flower bed.