Garden Design -Distance Learning Courses

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by BrandonBoston, Sep 13, 2007.

1. BrandonBoston

BrandonBoston New Seed

I have some background in designing/drafting with a Landscape Architecture firm - but this was many years ago. At this time in my life, I would like to get back into the business but as a garden designer, rather than a landscape architect.

As I have to work a full time job at present, I do not have the time or money to attend a proper college for classes.

I am interested in taking a distance learning program to get the basics of garden design. I am looking at two different programs - one is called the Institute of Garden Design and the other is The Enlgish Gardening School.

Has anyone taken distance learning classes for Garden Design? I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice or to tell me of your experiences.

Thanks a lot! By the way, this is my first post and my name is Brandon!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Gail-Steman
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. CJay
      Replies:
      Views:

3. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Hi Brandon! I started in a college program many years ago to be a landscape architect (ran out o' cash though!), seemed the biggest difference was that I had to hone my drafting skills a bit. All the knowledge about the needs of various plants and such was the same as what I learned in High school (I took every landscaping class the teacher offered, even one on designing gravesite planters for Memorial day!). I would expect that any truly reputable online site would teach you what you want to know, but if you have some basic knowledge, you could start by offering your services to friends and such- photograph your work to build up a portfolio, keep learning as you go until you are ready to cut the day-job strings. You really can learn everything to start you out from sites like this and others. And contact your county extention office for information on what plants grow well in your area; around here you can even get plenty of free information on using native plants in a landscape, a very popular option . And scout out a wholesale plant nursery while you are at it. For what a distance course costs you can build yourself up quite a stash of the equipment you'll need.
    Now bear in mind, taking one of those online courses has been my daydream for many years now, lol!
    Good luck!

4. BrandonBoston

BrandonBoston New Seed

Thanks Mary...

I do have some rendered plans from years ago that I could use in a portfolio. I suppose if I am ever visiting Florida again, I could make arrangements to take colour photos of those projects I designed.

It's interesting that most folks I have come across are lacking proficency or simply afraid of drafting (I mean the pen/ink variety, not CAD) while that to me was the easiest part of the completed design. Nowadays with all the change-orders placed by clients, I am assuming that pen and ink drawings are sort of antiquated.

Hmmmm.... not only do I need to learn the New England palette of plants, but it looks like I will need to get a CAD program as well...

Gee, I miss the old days of real blue prints and sepias... LOL Am I showing my age yet? 8)

I will wait a short while before making a decision on the two distance-learning schools I am considering. Both are based out of the UK, while one of them has a USA counterpart - which means cheaper postage to send back/forth those projects to the instructors...

Again, if anyone here has either completed a similar program or is also currently doing research, please get in touch with me so that I can pick your brain! LOL

Many thanks!

Brandon

5. BrandonBoston

BrandonBoston New Seed

Well, I took the plunge today and enrolled in the Institute of Garden Design for their diploma program.

It will be about 1-2 weeks before I receive the enrollment package to look at, but I am excited about starting a new adventure!

Thanks everyone for your support!

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Way to go BrandonBoston! [​IMG]

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Wonderful news Brandon, you are on your way now! We're proud of you.

8. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Let us know how it goes! I'll bet there are many people (like me!) who'd love to do this but never take that Big Brave Step- way to go in taking the plunge!

9. BrandonBoston

BrandonBoston New Seed

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and the support/encouragement.

I am pretty excited about doing this course as there is no time or ability to attend proper classroom courses.

If anyone is also interested in garden design via distance learning, feel free to drop me a note and I will try to help in any way I can.

Thanks again - one and all!

10. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Good Luck

BrandonBoston

Good luck and hoping your success follows..........
    It is a cool job.