Garden's doing well

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Jun 29, 2006.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

That rain on Tuesday really helped the garden. I bet those squash plants grew a foot. I had to fight my way between them this morning. I picked two zucchini but left the yellow squash because Dan wants to take some to a friend and I told him he could have the yellow ones. I don't know how, but I planted yellow squash seeds in rows and then I planted green zucchini in rows and now when the squash is growing, they are all mixed up. The tomatoes are still where I put them. I have 10 tomatoes now. None ripe though. The rain will help them grow too, I hope. That's all I have in the garden, except for basil, lemon basil and oregano and summer savory and chives. The rest died from lack of water or bugs. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. Hank

Hank Seedling

I've had zucchini and yellow squash cross-pollinate, but never trade places. :p

The crossed stuff was cool looking and didn't affect the flavor at all, but the folks at work wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I suppose it looked alien to all the city slickers I work with. :rolleyes:

4. dooley

I have had it cross pollinate too. Funny looking striped squash but it tasted all right. DR likes it like that. Of course, he would eat it 365 days a year. He can never wait and the first few are picked way too small. Dooley

5. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

The first year I planted acorn squash I finished out a row of cucumbers with them. The last cucumber plant tasted like squash.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

Well, you can't plant cucumbers or melons with squash, especially winter squash. They always cross as they are in the same family sort of. You should have asked me about that. Oops! Sorry, I'm coming on like a big sister and I'm not. At least, not your's. Dooley

7. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Well, you weren't about when we planted. But I guess it's one of those things if you do it once you won't do it again. I don't even do vegies anymore. We haunt the roadside stands. Wannabe

8. dooley

I wish we had roadside stands. It's one of the things I miss about living in the midwest. I need to e-mail Andy, but not about roadside stands. I need to call Max first though and find out more information about scarlet fever. Dooley

9. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Scarlet Fever has a red rash and starts on the tummy and back and they have a "strawberry" appearing tongue. It is itchy and from talking to others here they are seeing a lot of it lately.

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Scarlet fever? Yikes!

My veggies are pathetic... I only put in cherry tomatoes, lemon cukes and green beans this year. My cucumbers unaccountably died and the beans are paltry at best. At least the tomatoes are coming on well, if I can keep critters from getting at them until they are ripe! The fruit trees and grapes are looking well, at least, so it may not all be a wash. And my strawberry groundcover is still cranking out its teensy sweet berries too.

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

My husband does the vegetable garden - not me. He has a few tomato plants that look kind of sickly. The squash has one blossom. Can't find the onions for the weeds. He is not the gardener in the family. Polly