G'day from cold Melbourne.

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by chooklips, Aug 23, 2012.

1. chooklips

chooklips New Seed

Hey everyone :)
    My name is Jess and I am 20 and have just moved in to my new home with my boyfriend. Sam and I LOOOOOVE to cook and can't think of anything better than home grown herbs and veggies.

I am just starting out and I have never even pulled weeds out before let alone trying to grow produce. I need a hobby however and I decided to give it a bash. Today I built a box to grow my herbs in, this sits on a sill in a covered area just outside the kitchen. I look foreward to trading tips and ideas with everyone here. I'll upload photos at a later date!

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome to the forum from Central Texas. We are on a small farm and have "chooks" (a term which was explained to me by a fellow Stewie). Looking forward to seeing your photos!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Jess and a warm welcome to our forums from Scotland. :-D
    We're here for you to help you out with your new hobby of gardening so if you have any questions feel free to ask us.
    I look forward to getting to know you.
    :stew2:

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi and welcome from Ohio, USA. Glad to have you with us. What is the temperature there? Cold as in freezing or cold as in "need a sweater"? too cold to grow plants or what? I can't imagine tropical/never freezes temperatures....I am already getting anxious that summer is winding down here and soon it will be snowing, I am sure.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi and welcome from SE Texas. Can't wait to see how your new venture turns out.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Jess and a warm welcome to GardenStew :) I know what chooks are also but that's what we say to call them, "here chook chook".

Don't forget to check out our blogs, member map and perhaps upload plant images you have to GardenStew PLANTS for all to learn from :stew1:
    Details here: http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/help#3

// frank

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Jess, welcome to GardenStew from Chelmsford, MA. We are the friendliest garden group on the internet. Growing herbs? You have come to the right place. Ask away, we will be happy to reply. Welcome aboard.

Jerry

9. chooklips

chooklips New Seed

thanks for the warm welcome guys. Nah the weather here isnt as cold as an American winter but it's raining and it's impossible to dig up my garden bed. My friend is comming by tomorrow and he studies permaculture so hopefully my garden will be beautiful :) ill take pictures for sure.

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Hello Jess sending you a warm welcome from Wisconsin. Sounds like you both are going to enjoy having your own place to garden and plant in. This is a great community with folks from all over the world. Pic's will be wonderful. We love photo's of whatever ones creating or doing. :stew1:

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Welcome chooklips. You are now a member of the best message board on earth. Enjoy your stay here.

Barb in Pa.

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Jess, welcome from a not too distant land!!! Great choice to start with herbs and fresh herbs is always best for cooking!!! :)

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Jess :wave:
    Welcome to GardenStew from southern Ontario, Canada!

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hello, and welcome to the Stew from across the North Sea. :D The north-west coast of Norway is weather challenged too this year. Nothing grows because of low temps and too much rain. :(

Hop in and make yourself at home. I'm looking forward to stewing with you. :stew2: