Going to Winter Garden Fair in am

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, Feb 15, 2013.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Dh and I are both going. Taking different classes. Then compare note. One he's taking better pictures.Me containers,drought,compost,annuals.Nice lunch at Kirkwood campus.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Have fun and enjoy your day, if you can, take some photographs for us please.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Going to set alarm. And go to bed early.Leave here about 7am.And not use to (city) early am traffic.And Dh will bring camera. One of his classes taking better pictures.

5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

No Pictures. And class Dh took on (Taking) better pictures. Slide show of Guys pictures.NO ???? DH said will buy another book. He was not impressed

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a pity but at least your DH can now browse the bookshelves for exactly the book he needs.

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I had fun but want to try local classes not all day long.Some older people had hard time getting out of seats.I felt like I was sitting on floor.

8. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

KK,So do you feel you got $100 worth of info? I'm a bit closer to that place but thought it would be too tiring.That photo class was the same as we saw at our club meeting.Can't say as I learned much. I did have a chance to ask him questions privately.I hope you took something away after spending that much & getting tired.
    Will you share some container & drought tips?
    sNs

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Found out Lady who gave Container From this area. She mixed her own soil.And made some home made self watering containers.I did buy some things from Garden Supply that holds a gallon of water. But for the $$$ and being 6 hours long. Will not do it next year.See if I can scan her home made container pictures.

10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

KK I will be interested in the self watering pots.We mix our own soil.We do NOT change it every year. With all the huge old tubs we have we would be in the poor house if we bought regular stuff from the store.I like to think of potting mix recipes like good cooks who make bread & noodles.You get so you can tell by the feel & looks if it is right.I'm interested in finding something to replace perlite in mix. It is getting soo expensive.I know there is sand but in larger pots it gets so heavy to lift.
    sNs

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

She would only put top 1/3 in her compost. And mix her soil. Can't find my note but think 1/3 top soil1/3 compost 1/3 vermicalate .Most of the containers I have are self watering water from bottom. And the kits I bought. I will dump my soil on tarp and put them at bottom.I turn my big container to side-so will get snow-rain in them and freeze and crack.Had that happen

12. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I was signed up for drought.Got there and my name wasn't on list-even though on my letter they sent me.But talked to lady at lunch who took it.Talked about running water through a sump-pump And into rain barrels.Taking all BIG shrubs away from house..Roots going deeper and ruining house foundation.And to water plants around foundation. Drought can cause cracks.I knew that after seeing in paper.I new catalogs high light drought (loving) plants.

13. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

KK We removed big shrubs from around our house where they would damage foundation. You have to have rain in order for sump pump to run.Ours drains into hostas.It has a perforated hose.Same with rain barrels.I thought of putting rain barrel out at corner of garage.Water running off there doesn't benefit much.
    Have you noticed that the hoses & watering equipment is really taking a bigger space in stores this year?
    sNs