Got rid of some more plants today.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Sep 19, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I Have been transplanting and thinning a few of my plants, Siberian iris, small sedum, iris, and creeping phlox. I called my gardening neighbor and she was excited to get them and asked if it was okay to share the large clump of Siberian iris. I laughed and said once they leave my yard they are yours to so as you wish. I makes me feel good to drive by her place and see the plants I've given her growing so well.

Henry Johnson, cherylad, Kay and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have sent several of my excess plants off to new homes too, either locally through the rEcycleDFW list or by mail around the country. It does feel good to see someone else's garden getting good use out of our plants.
    I really hate to hear someone say they are going to throw away perfectly good plants.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree. I love to share my plants with others. I actually have a free table for people that come to visit my gardens. That will be removed next June when we have the county garden tour.

I also have received many plants on free lists. They are great, aren't they???

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Would somebody like to come over and dig up a big, beautiful variegated Miscanthus?? I really want to find a good home for it! :)

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

My neighbors are a nice young couple with 3 children and I remember how hard it was to lay money out for plants. I did forget to give her the tulip bulbs I had thinned out so I took them over and, as the husband was outside, I handed them to him. It made me feel good when he told me Thank you and that I was sure helping to make their yard look nice.

Kiasmum likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My daughter's best friend has just bought a new house and was finding that she had very little money left to do anything with her garden. I gave her everything she would need to build a small pond and a selection of pond plants to go with it. She was delighted!! I will be giving her more plants next spring to put in her garden.
    If I can help someone else with the excess plants etc that I have then I don't have to feel guilty about throwing plants away.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I like to share too! I have Bearded Iris and Feverfew that needs a good home. Kay, if I was closer I would take you up on that Miscanthus!

9. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I had just started gardening and didn't even know the kind of plants available and what grows well here. O got a lot of the plants I have from Jewell. I even went back the next year to get some more. I am so grateful to her. I also have a colleague who has a farm and brings me some plants he thinks I need to have. My garden is not mature enough to have excess plants. But if someone asks for seeds or an extra plant, I love to share too.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I don't think any gardener likes to just throw out plants. I have set daylilys by the side of the road with a free sign on them...it does make you feel good to know you found a home for them....if I have plants that are sickly, then I do throw them out so I don't spread disease...I am hoping I can dig in my flower beds this week to move things around, we have had plenty of rain and it needs to dry out a bit...

11. SueanneFl.

SueanneFl. New Seed

My African White Iris are in full bloom today. Look so beautiful every year from just one plant.

Attached Files:

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Its been one of my great gardening pleasures also all these years - not to scrap surplus plants but to pass them on to others - had some nice one given to me also.