Grass care questions answered

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by tony, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tony

tony New Seed

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know about myself, i've been in sportsgrounds maintenance since leaving school as soon as i could, 15 1/2 actually. I found school unchallenging to say the least, hated school for that reason, but within a few months ended up working for one of the top private schools in bristol on their sports grounds. From there i worked for a short time at Bristol City Football club when they were in the 1st division back in the 70s,i was offered a full time post with the club but i declined the offer,i found it quite boring being only one pitch to look after! I am currently head groundsman at another of the top private schools in bristol, i have been here for the past 24 1/2 years. i am into lots of things but love science and the related subjects, this has helped me understand so much about the latest research and findings regarding soil science over the recent years and has re awakened my passion in grass care, or more importantly soil care. I would be more than happy to help with any grass/soil care questions you may have. hope this message is not too long, regards Tony

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi There Tony. Welcome to GardenStew from West Lothian in Scotland. :-D

I'm sure you'll be a great asset to our forums with your knowledge of both grass and soil care.

I look forward to getting to know you.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Tony and a warm welcome to GardenStew. We'd love for you to add your input to questions in the Lawn Care forum. That would be great! Very interesting to hear about your background, sounds like you love your work.

// frank

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Welcome to you from Maryland and thanks for offering your expertise. I do have a question! I'll post it in the Lawn Care section. I hope you enjoy GS.

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome to the Stew from east Texas.

7. colin

colin New Seed

Hello

Welcome to this forum. This is a great place to make new friends. Please keep sharing in the future.

Thanks

8. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Hey tony, thanks for offering to help.

I moved into a new house this year and the grass is well unkept is the best way to explain i think.

Previous owner cut it but thats about it.

I live in montreal, with cold winters and hot summers, so don't expect it to be brilliant but did expect it to be a bit better. I have looked at neighbours gardens and they all look far better. The ground near me is very sandy and has alot of tree roots running through it. (not sure if they are sucking all the nutrients from teh ground.)

Things I have tried:
    Mowing frequently to help promote root growth and spread.

Things I am thinking of doing:
    Buying some good soil and sprinkling it over the lawn.
    Adding seed after soiling

any advice would be appreciated