Ground Coverage...

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a ground coverage that will thrive in the shade? I have an area that is 30 inches X 25 foot that I have some shade plants in and would like to use some ground cover to help keep out the weeds. I am in New Paltz, New York. Thank you for any help.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If you don't mind the groundcover going dormant in the winter, you can try horseherb (Calyptocarpus vialis) which is also called Straggler Daisy. Here in Texas it is invasive, but makes a great ground cover in shaded spots. Here is a link to the Wildflower Center which gives more details on horseherb: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CAVI2

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

marlingardner,
    Thank you very much for the reply, that is exactly what I am looking for.

5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I personally love Creeping Jenny. It also goes dormant in the winter, but in the warmer months it spreads well and is a most amazing vibrant, almost neon light green color....a lovely contrast to the darker mulch or ground and other foliage around it.

Advertisement
  6. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Ronni,
    Thank you for the reply. Do you know if Creeping Jenny will allow my begonia plants to grow during the summer months? Thanks again, have a great day.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many years ago when I was just getting started on converting the back yard to garden I planted horseherb under the trees. It got swallowed up by the weeds during the time I was working on the front yard so I was afraid I had lost it.
    In the last 5 or so years it has appeared in the north side shade bed, the north side sun bed and about 5 other places out in the back garden....none of which were where I planted it in the first place. Oh, and also in the neighbors shady south side of their house.

It is deciduous but comes back at a gallop each Spring to spread it's cheery face and yellow blooms somewhere else I was not expecting. I really do like it and have no plans to take it out.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I forgot to mention that when horseherb blooms, the bees like it. No problem walking through the horseherb--the bees see you coming and move off.

stratsmom likes this.
  9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I bought pachasandra off of ebay and it has done very well in my yard. Also creeping buttercup has about ran me out of house & home!!

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I'll second pachysandra. Myrtle is also good. It is evergreen & has periwinkle blue flowers in spring.