Groundcover. Small yellow blooms. Hairy stems. Green leaves

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by cherylad, Jun 18, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

One of my cousins was in town visiting this weekend. I stopped by her mom's this afternoon to say hi. On my way out, I noticed a groundcover growing at the end of the driveway.
    I've been wanting something to put at my back fence to replace the lantana that does not like it there.
    So I asked my aunt what she had growing there. she said... "some old thing that you can't kill. Want some?"
    Of course I did. One of her other daughters came to pull some up for me. I asked her if she knew what they were. Her reply was just about the same as her mom's.
    So... she pulled me up a couple handfuls. I wanted to get photos of them in the ground... but a few other folks were driving up to visit.
    Anyhow... it has cute yellow flowers... not a bunch... but enough to take notice.

[​IMG]
    unknown groundcover bloom ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And here are the leaves.

[​IMG]
    unknown groundcover leaves ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Any idea of what it might be?

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Pure guess work, but it does look like my Arnica montana

4. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

I think it could be what we call here in Australia...Singapore daisy, the shire workers spray it and we try to eradicate it too, it is a weed here.

Just looking at the leaves again I am positive it is.

5. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

It certainly does look exactly like what we call Singapore Daisy, Sphagneticola trilobata, here in Australia.

I agree with you Chocolate. The leaves and the flower are an exact match.

If it is Singapore Daisy, then you've got a very hardy groundcover.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

thanks Chocolate and Bernie!
    I've done some reading up on it. And sounds like it can be very invasive. It doesn't have deep roots and was easy to pull up.
    I think I'll plant a small patch of it since it sounds like what I need in that area. :fingerscrossed:

Edited to add: I did some more reading... I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I'll put some in a container (it is a pretty plant & flower). As I battle weeds, why would I want to introduce a new tough one?
    Okay... I've convinced myself not to put it in the ground.
    So glad you ID'd it for me!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think we have that one around here....yet.

Guess what? The plant is in our database Sphagneticola trilobata but has no information or photos.

8. cherylad

Is that a hint Toni? :-D

I'm still not 100% sure that I wouldn't plant some... it really is attractive and functional if you need groundcover. But I can't bring myself to put it in my flower bed.
    I also noticed while reading up on it that it's hardy from zone 9 up. Maybe it's not as invasive here in zone 8? It certainly doesn't look like it's taking over at my aunt's house... growing right there at the end of the driveway by the ditch. I can't think of a spot like that at the house... so I guess I'll put some in a pot... it does have those cute yellow flowers.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It seems to like wet, tropical locations so maybe it wouldn't be as likely to spread in hot, dry Texas. But since it does spread by underground runners and broken off pieces you might want to keep it in a pot.

And yes, that's a hint. ;)