Growing Eucomis from seed

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Gardengirl, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I have noticed that my Eucomis 'White Dwarf' has lovely ripe seed pods so have collected some. Does anyone know if these can be grown from seed. I have been told by our local nursery that they only come in white. I was hoping that if the seeds propagated they may come through a slightly different colour.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. adam.ca
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I haven't found any info that indicates the seeds will produce a different color plant. They are relatively easy to grow from seed but it will be 2-5 years before they are mature enough to bloom. If you remove the offsets in spring or take leaf cuttings early in the spring you have a better chance of blooms sooner.

There are several colors of Eucomis, I have this one in my garden Eucomis comosa (Pineapple Lily)
    But the 'White Dwarf' only comes in white.

4. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thank you Toni. I appreciate that the White Dwarf would probably only be white but just wondered whether there are any other varieties of Eucomis with different colours.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Advertisement
  6. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thanks for the link Toni. I wonder why my local nursery did not know that they came in other colours. In view of what you say about propagating from seed, maybe I will not bother. At my age I can't afford to wait 5 years for flowers :)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yoga retreat

Yoga is a way of life, an art of righteous living or an integrated system for the benefit of the body, mind and inner spirit. This art originated, was perfected and practiced in India thousands of years ago. The references to yoga are available in 'Upanishads' and 'Puranas' composed by Indian Aryans in the later Vedic and post- Vedic period. The main credit for systematizing yoga goes to Patanjali who wrote 'Yoga Sutra', two thousand Years ago. He described the principles of the full eight fold yogic discipline. He composed the treatise in brief code words known as 'Sutras'. 'Yoga Sutra' is the most important basic text on Yoga. yoga retreat It is through this basic treatise that the essential message of yoga spread throughout the world.

8. flower shops

flower shops New Seed