Growing Proso Millet (aka White Proso) from Bird Seed

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Weedscaper, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

My thanks to the many kind members who tolerated my boasting about my collection of weeds on this welcome thread.

I learned from none other than super model Cherylad that one of my treasured weeds comes from the bird seed that I put into the bird feeder. I like it so much that I transplanted some of it into my brick garden 6 weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    Some Kinda Wonderful (Millet) ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

From pictures I've decided it is Proso Millet aka White Proso.

I then shamelessly manipulated Cherylad into kissing me, and she was a good sport about it when I did not turn into a prince. (Hah! Not likely!) I offer no apologies, one does what one can in that department.

Anyhow, her tip prompted me to sort through my bird seed and separate out the 4 different kinds of seeds which it contains from the busted up corn and the sunflower seeds. Friday night I planted some of each sort in numbered pots. I was surprised to see two little sprouts jumping up this morning.

[​IMG]
    Proso Millet ?? ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

I had my doubts because it seemed awfully soon (36 hours) and I planted around 10 of each kind of seed in each pot (and only two sprouts). So, I unearthed one little shoot and at least confirmed that the little plants are coming from a seed I planted.

[​IMG]
    Millet Sprout - pretty sure anyway ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

You can see one white root and the green shoot coming out of a 4 mm brown seed.

I can't say for sure that it's Millet, but I expect it is. Even though these babies are tiny, they resemble the mature plants.

The bird seed had some long teardrop-shaped seeds. I had thought the millet would come from those since they resemble the shape of the Millet-ty part of the Millet plant. I won't know what's what from what if they all start to sprout, though.

In case there are any other weed fiends out there, I'll be updating this thread as new infrogmation becomes available and time allows.

Frank, eileen and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. carolyn
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

wow that is quick sprouting! Hoping you get lots of weeds from your experiment.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Cool :) Ive (unintentionally) grown Safflower seeds haha Might try to do those on purpose next year.

5. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

OK,

I had thought that the birdseed was comprised of

Nope!

Despite the drastic difference in outward appearances, three of the four "different seeds" yield Proso Millett. My Seed #2 is different, have no idea what it will morph into. Here's the family portrait:

[​IMG]

and here's each child with the seed type from whence they sprang:

Millet Seed, #1 - 4mm Brown:

[​IMG]
    seed from birdfood ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Millet from birdfood ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

Mystery Seed, #2 - 5mm Teardrop Shaped:

[​IMG]

I did look at the birdseed bag - no help there about specifically what the bag contains (a bit odd, no?)

[​IMG]
    Mystery Science Theater Plant ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

Millet Seed, #3 - 2mm Pearly White

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Millet grown from birdfood ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

Millet Seed, #4 - 3mm to 4mm Dirty White

[​IMG]

I planted them on Friday August 30, 20 days ago. For a while there I would go out every 6 hours and there'd be another one poking it's head up above the potting mix. It was nice. The miracle of life!

The Millet which I have growing is maturing, and I can see now that the seeds on my plants are shaped like seeds 1, 3, and 4 - which, despite their different color and size, have pretty much the same shape.

Just today I noticed that I'm not the only one who enjoys this plant.

[​IMG]
    Chillin' In The MIllet ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Finch On Millet ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

If anyone can identify seed #2, I'd be glad to find out what it is.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The weed experiment continues with unexpected results. Hope you find out what that mystery one is.
    Enjoyed the photos of the birds on the millet!

7. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

I do hope you find out what type it is. You can keep us updated :)

8. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

Nice!!!! My cockatiels love millet. I may need to star growing some too,,,