Growing question about Zuchinni

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by chooklips, Aug 25, 2012.

1. chooklips

chooklips New Seed

Hey, I'm from Melbourne Australia and it is mid winter. When should I start planting zuchinni? And should I go for vine or bush?

2. Loading...

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi Chooklips, I am on Gold Coast[xMelbourne],when I lived down there I waited till all danger of frost was over, it depends really where in Melbourne, some areas are warmer than others.If the seedlings are in the shops I would consider it is correct time there.Up here we are able to plant most vegies all year.I would choose a bush type, save on space and easier to harvest and about the same amount of fruit...all this in my own experience of course.
    It is the first week of spring next week[Sept]
    At the moment I am harvesting peas, beans,sugarloaf cabbages and almost the spring crop of tomatoes.
    Plenty of raddishes,parsley and silverbeet.

For all others who would be wondering....Melbourne is at the very southern end of the coastline and it is where you would leave the mainland and go to the island of Tasmania.

Frank and Henry Johnson like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wow ! all that growing ? i admit i was curious although its a long way from Texas. i would agree with the bush type, vine would take up ground space that could be used for something else.

5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

We have a volunteer squash / zucchini which is a bit unusual. We have yellow squash and we have dark green zucchini. We have buried the scraps from these. The volunteer is a pale green. Can it be a cross between the burial of the two?

Advertisement
  6. chooklips

chooklips New Seed

Thanks guys, really helpful, I am 20 Minutes out of Melbourne's CBD on the south eastern side.. have had goregeous weather all week. I am gonna wait a couple of weeks I think just to make sure :)

Frank likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

yes they will cross also will cross with pumpkins, we plowed ours under one year and that happened. excellent eating though.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Squash

Mart, I believe thats just what it is. You're right. It tastes great. I took it out this morning due to mildew. I could have tried spraying, but its late in the season, so I just pulled it out.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

the ones we had after plowing all the garden under were every color under the sun. some were kind of rose colored that had crossed with pumpkins and like a squash but sweeter. they were delicious. and forgot to say but they didnt cross because you buried them together. insects cause them to cross while they are growing. you wont be able to tell till you plant the seeds from what you raised this year. that is why no one saves seed from squash, zuchinni and pumpkins unless they only have one type planted.

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Squash

The pale green, volunteer squash came up after I had planted the yellow squash. But your theory makes sense.