Growing Tall... but not blooming

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Aug 14, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I planted these White Marigolds from seed this spring. They are around 18-24 inches tall. But not one sign of a bud or bloom.

[​IMG]
    white marigolds-no blooms ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I've had this Bouganvillea for a few years, but it was in a container until this Spring. It did bloom just a little big a couple of months ago, but now it's got to be at least7 foot tall with lots of branches, but no sign of the bracts turning pink and/or blooming.

[​IMG]
    Bouganvillea - no blooms ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I started this Pride of Barbados from seed this Spring. Can't get over how big it is already!!! However, unlike it's "mother". It isn't showing any signs of blooming.

[​IMG]
    Pride of Barbados - no blooms ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Here is the "mother" plant that is at the other end of the fence. I've had it for a couple of years, but growing in a container until this spring. It's just as tall as the other, but has been blooming since it was around 3-4 foot tall and is showing no signs of stopping!

[​IMG]
    Pride of Barbados - blooming ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

All of these plants are along the wooden fence. All get watereted at the same time, fed the same stuff and practically gets the same amount of sunlight.

What could be causing this? :headscratch:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. adam.ca
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

High nitrogen - are you fertilizing them?

4. cherylad

They get Miracle Grow every once in a while.
    Should I try something else?

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love the Pride of Barbados.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, back off on the Miracle-Gro for a while. It is a high-nitrogen fertilizer I think (check the box and see what the first number is).
    Also, some plants need to mature to flower (remember the kid with braces and bad skin in high school that turned into drop-dead gorgeous in college?) and yours may be a trifle young yet.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, I planted the white marigolds as a trap crop for japanese beetles. They come to these plants before the other plants( like my raspberries) that I want them to stay off of. there doesn't seem to be any blooms on them either, but I think it is from the beetles eating off the buds as they form. This is the first year I tried this and I am shocked at the few numbers of beetles in the garden this year. Usually we are inundated with the horrible things, they usually strip my linden tree and ruin the new raspberries before we can pick them, defoliate the grapes, yada yada yada. So If you have any beetles in the area you might want to look closely at the buds to make sure they aren't being eaten off.

8. cherylad

Carolyn... I'll look closer, but I swear I haven't even seen one single bud.

Jane... they only get Miracle Grow about once a month.
    I'll do as suggested.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn--Maybe I'll try white marigolds to deal with the Japanese beetles. They go for one rose in particular in my yard.