Guessing game

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Aug 11, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Can you guess which eggs came from our young hens, and which from a "mature" lady?
    [​IMG]
    First efforts ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )
    When the youngsters first start to lay, they just can't measure up to their big sisters' output. However, they are trying, and will manage to go on to bigger and better things soon!

Frank and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Depends on what breed of chicken laid them. Could be bantam eggs. I have had pullet eggs from a small breed chicken the size of a marble.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Ohhh.....? Reasoning says the older ladies laid the middle egg. The one on the right looks to weigh more than the one on the left. (City slicker guess)

My chickens lay their eggs and put them in cartons(neat birds) and they all weigh the same(they have a scale somewhere). Aisle one is where they hang out though I never see them when I am in that area of the store. I think they have hen parties at night.

Jerry

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have only Black Australorps, a breed that can stand our Texas heat and is known for being good layers. They start out laying smaller eggs, but as they mature (which will be around December) their egg size will rival the older ladies'. I saw a bantie egg once, and thought one of our songbirds had snuck into the barn and laid it!
    Jerry, I would be very interested in knowing how you get your hens to lay directly into cartons. I don't particularly want them to hang around grocery aisles since they are very impressionable and might get ideas (our grocery, no joke, sells hard-boiled eggs!). However, if I could cut out the going out with a basket twice a day to collect eggs, and just go out once to pick up a carton of eggs, it would lighten my work load. :)

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your young girls are catching up fast on your more mature ladies Jane. By the way
    I enjoyed the banter between you and Jerry - you know just how to make me smile. :-D