Half term

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by EJ, Feb 13, 2006.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Once again it is upon us. The kids are home from school for a week and a day for half term break. We are off to the local farm tomorrow as the lambs have started coming, the goats have new kids and the hatchery is apparently full of little yellow chicks. It is one of their favourite places as they can get up close and personal with sheep, pigs, cows, hens, goats, horses and a host of small furry pets. The piggery is probably the highlight as you can walk along the 'maternity suite' and if you are lucky, a sow will be giving birth, or will have just given birth, and piglets are just the cutest things ever!! :D Fingers crossed the rain stays off, although welly boots will be compulsory anyhow. Will bore you with photos tomorrow! :D

2. Loading...

3. EJ

A couple of snaps from our lovely day. The sun shone, and the animals behaved beautifully....and so did the kids!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Great photos EJ! Looks like they had a barrel of fun there. Growing up on a farm sometimes you tend to overlook the simple pleasures like feeding the animals or simply watching them interact with their surroundings. That's why it is alway fun to watch someone who doesn't frequent a farm often get a buzz from simply watching the animals 8)

:D lol at the big fake cow pic! How does it work, do they fill it with milk and allow you to milk it yourself?

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When I worked with special education kids, we always took them to a petting sort of farm in the spring. They loved it. I grew up on a farm and Brian says I'm a frustrated farmer which is why I garden. I used to have goats, geese, ducks, chickens, dogs and cats. Now, I have one dog and a garden.
    I'm sure your kids had fun being there. It's a joy to see the smiles on their faces. Dooley

6. EJ

Thanks! The giant cow is filled with water which the kids can sit and 'milk'. Of course, inevitably, one of the little darlings works out how to squirt it at an angle and you end up getting a squit in the eye!

Apart from the obvious fun of going to the farm, the other reason I love to take them is so they understand where their dinner comes from. The know where fruit and veg comes from as they see it all on the allotment, but I think so many sprogs believe that meat comes in those plassy trays and not from animals!

The chickens were probably one of the funniest because, apart from being a field full of moaning old ladies, one pecked James and I swear it laughed!! We were all rolling around with laughter. James wasn't so impressed! :) :) :)