Hand Drafting

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by duhitsdani, Jul 11, 2008.

1. duhitsdani

duhitsdani New Seed

Hi,
    I am new here and I am a student and I was just curious as to who here does Hand Drafting and I need some info on different symbols, and how to do it. If there are any books I can read, or if there are any tutorials? etc.
    Thanks in Advance!

2. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Hello and welcome! I was trained in that waaaay back when I went through part of a landscape architect course (ran out of cash & it was pre-student loan times, alas!) I don't remember a whole lot, though there are templates out there for much of what you need, a company called Alvin used to make quite a bit of this. I'd suggest hitting the library or half.com, look for books on the subject from the early 80's and prior. It was all hand drafting back then.
    I always freehanded plant symbols. Used a sort of "sunshine" looking thing to indicate evergreens. Circle templates are good for deciduous trees. Bulbs were usually indicated in massed form, sort of a freehand "blob" thing. Most important is to always do them to a scale of what the diameter will be when it's full grown. Names of plants and such are always facing the same way, in a simply lettering style unless the client wants to frame it when the landscape is done.

3. saffronia

saffronia New Seed

Hand Drafting Help

My friend and associate Diana Bennett Wirtz is in the process of writing a book on the art of hand drafting. PM me if you want to contact her.

Good luck.
    Saffronia

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Dang, Mary you are good!

How about some new 'whimsy'and craft ideas!! I check your site quite often. ;)

Advertisement
  5. Creative_1

Creative_1 New Seed

I've done some hand-drafting, but am now computerized.

Are you taking a class? There are so many little things for drafting.... scale, line weight, text, dimensioning, details, details, details. :)

6. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue New Seed

I'm an interior design student also, and we're using "Architectural Drafting for Interior Designers" by Lydia Sloan Cline in our hand drafting class. It's easy to read with all the basics. I'd start there.