Happy Easter to my fellow seniors ;)

Discussion in 'Jokes and Games' started by Ronni, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

12804719_951733924936517_6630411234818630160_n.jpg

2ofus, Chrisle and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chortling away here.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    I didn't hide any this year - I may never have found them and what a waste of all that chocolate that would have been.

Ronni likes this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ronni I would find that funny. But I am now experiencing this first hand with my dear Mom. So sad. Sorry for throwing a crimp in the funny greeting.

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Tooty2shoes, I have been through that with both my parents....trust me you have to remember to laugh any time the opportunity presents itself.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tooty2 shoes, I sympathize. We had a friend who slowly descended into the twilight world. It was difficult to see, but we did laugh at some of her observations.
    Keep a stiff upper lip, and a smile on your face (is that possible?)

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Ah honey, I'm so sorry :(

I went through it with my parents too, first my Mom and then my Dad. My dad really struggled and would get so upset as he realized what was happening to him and couldn't get beyond it. Honestly it was a relieve when it was full blown...he became almost childlike and was happy, and completely clueless about his condition.

It's rough when our parents become our children.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Ronni, I got a good laugh out of it even though my mind is slipping a bit now days. I get a lot of healthy exercise walking to one room, pause, go back to where I was first, so I can remember what I was going to get!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement as many of you have experienced the same with your folks. Laughter is great medicine and I do try and do that often. My mom does have a good sense of humor and so we have some good chuckles together.

2ofus---I know exactly what you mean. You can be thinking of getting something and get up out of your chair and walk into the room where it would be. Then bam! You can't remember what you came in there for. I heard a really funny suggestion as to what happens to those thoughts.
    When you are sitting there and you think of what you want to get in the other room. As soon as you stand up---that though goes right down to your butt. They said that they know that from experience. Because as soon as you go back into the room where you had originally thought of what you had wanted to get and sit back down. All of a sudden you remember what you had wanted to get in the other room.
    I hate to admit it--but I have experienced the same thing. I wonder if that is what people mean when they say that they had a "brain fart".:oops::rolleyes::confused::D

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I have brain farts all the time.....or what I call "senior moments," depending on company. ;) Though occasionally I get disturbed by them (because there's plenty of history of dementia and alzheimer's in my family) I understand intellectually that they're a factor of aging and very typical.

It is incredibly frustrating to forget what I went into the other room for....that makes me crazy. Or I'll remember something I need to add to my shopping list, or to do list, but in the few seconds it takes me to pull up notes on my phone or add it to my list on my desk, the thought is just gone! I have to say it to myself continuously while I'm accessing my notes or it has a tendency to just disappear.

I'll share a strategy with you that has worked for me. Not completely, and not always, but at least it has reduced the quantity of things I can't remember after I've forgotten them. ;)

As soon as I think of something that I need to do, or take with me to work, or write down somewhere, the MOMENT it comes into my head, I'll grab some physical object and put it in plain sight, but somewhere it shouldn't be. Now for me this is easy, because I am an orderly person so anything out of place is noticeable. For the tidiness-challenged, this might be a bit more difficult. But anyway, I'll grab a book and toss it to the middle of the floor. Or hang my robe on the knob of the bedroom door. Or put the coffee pot directly in the middle of the otherwise cleared counter. Or (don't laugh, I've actually done this because you know how things come to you when you're ... um ... taking care of business ;) ) grab a roll of toilet paper and plonk it down in the middle of the bathroom floor, where you're sure to trip over it when you leave!

Those visual reminders actually work! Something so obviously out of place helps jog the memory. I mean, I KNOW y'all do what I do, and when you've all forgotten something, you go BACK into the room you were in when you first thought of it! Right?? It's similar to that, except the acting of placing something in a different location acts a purposeful reminder, rather than just relying on the general environment to hopefully jog your memory.

Anyway, try it.....tell me what you think. Of course, your mileage may vary, but it sure does work for me!