Has anyone ever recycled an empty cable spool. Table maybe?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Freckles, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

I have one of those large empty cable spools sitting in my garden, which makes a very nice table. But has anyone ever done anything special with them?

2. Loading...

3. okietriker

okietriker Seedling

I have one also but haven't done anything with it yet. I'm thinking of putting a big table umbrella
    in it and setting some potted flowers on the table.

Freckles likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Many years ago, I had an old classmate turn them into chairs for his kids. They sort of "rocked".
    And for the record... I seem to always have one around for a table.

Freckles likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In the very early 1970's, in my almost hippie days in the mountains of Colorado, I had one that we sanded down, sealed with marine varnish and I used as a work table in the kitchen. I loved that table, it was well used to make a couple hundred jars of jam and jelly. There might be a picture of it in my daughters things, I'll have to get her to look for it.

We put cup hooks under it to hold sauce pans and skillets and something in the center hole on top to hold cooking utensils.

Freckles likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Hi, thanks for all the ideas and personal uses. An umbrella over the top is a great idea. I've been using it to pot my plants on so far.

Would love to see mine covered with jars of jams and jelly, yummy!

I have a small potted plant in the middle hole, that just seemed the thing to put there. I remember years ago we had a large one. We took out a couple boards from the center circle and that became our dog's doghouse. He liked it.

That's the kind of table though, that you wouldn't mind getting cut up or scraped. Never thought about putting hooks under the edges, I could hang little potted flowers to that.

Thanks for all the ideas, and hope to see a picture of your table, with the jellies and jams, Toni. :-D

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I seen one house had 3 connected. Painted Red White and Blue.Jerry seen me looking at them and said " Connie-Lee Where would you put them" Still thinking where?

Freckles likes this.
  8. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

That brings back old memories!
    I moved into an old apartment down the street from
    a community college I went to and there were 2
    wooden cable spools in the living room.
    they worked out great. Used them for plants and
    serving pizza. Ahh, college days. (Mid to late 70s)

Freckles likes this.
  9. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Awwww, thanks for sharing good memories, cuatro-gatos. :sete_003:

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Freckles all the ideas sound great. The only thing I ever used them for was to let my goats play on them. But I bet it would make a great umbrella table. Hope you post some pic's. :stew1:

Freckles likes this.
  11. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Hi Tooty, hehehe, goats, now that's a great idea! But no goats here. Today I sanded the top of table and then painted the whole thing with a can of paint that I got from the hardware store. You know the gallon paints that people don't like the color and bring back. A $25.00 can of paint for $5.00. So it was a pleasant color and cheap. But once I got started I painted a stool and a trellis my hubby made for me. I keep forgetting to take a picture of my new table, but I will get it posted.
    Thanks for sharing about the goats, would have loved to see that.

Freckles

12. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I polyurethaned one, sunk a plastic bucket ( with a hole & drip pan put in it) in the hole in the middle, and planted flowers in it. Stuck it near a lounge chair on my patio & it was so pretty. There was just enough room around the edges for someone to sit their drink down.

Freckles likes this.
  13. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

I think polyurethane would be the best idea. It would cover and seal over the cracks and crevices. But I'm not that enthusiastic. It sure would be pretty though; and with a potted plant in the middle. I've been real busy today, but I can't wait to get to my projects and take some pictures to upload here.

Anybody have any ideas for a homemade umbrella? I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money on a new one. ;)

14. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

If you have an old umbrella, just remove the old fabric or plastic, leaving just the ribs. You can then re-cover it with canvas or use one of those heavy-duty plastic tarps that have the fibers in them. Cut hole in center for top of pole, turn edges under & hot glue.You can hot-glue velcro on underside at each rib, at intervals, so that it flaps over the rib & fastens down like on a velcro sneaker. Cut fabric or tarp to fit at outer ends of rib & turn under & hot glue down. I've made a couple that way. Takes a little time but doesn't cost $79.95, like a decent new umbrella will. Good luck!

Frank and Freckles like this.
  15. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Wow, GardenStew could solve all problems. Thank you for the umbrella idea :idea: . Now, I don't have an old one, but I will keep my eyes out for a secondhand one somewhere. I have the glue gun and can come up with some tarp somewhere. :D

16. Carol Blue-Garcia

Carol Blue-Garcia Seedling

Makes a perfect table for anyone living on a budget ie. college students, newly weds just starting out or anyone just starting out with little money to spend on furnishings.