Has anyone had experience with perennial sunflowers?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I got a perennial sunflower Helianthus microcephalus, or Small Woodland Sunflower last spring in a plant exchange. I dropped it into the ground and really enjoyed it in late summer with its multitude of blooms. The birds really seemed to enjoy it also. My concern was digging the roots this spring since I had to find a better spot for it. (too big to be next to the walkway.) The roots have really gotten big. I found some information that had mentioned that it could be invasive recently. From my experience there is all kinds of invasive (sometimes it just means it does well in my garden). I'd like to hear if anyone else has had experiences with this plant. It is a native of the south eastern US and has entered the plant trade.

[​IMG]
    perennial sunflowers ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Not sure if we have this one, but all the other perennial sunflowers we have, have proved to be invasive in the root spreading way. All that is except H. salicifolius which did not thrive at all.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Our perennial sunflowers are vigorous to say the least!

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hi Jewell I have some Helianthus grown from a wildflower seed mix. I really like their continuous bloom all summer, and they attract butterflys and bees. They get rather tall, and sometimes sprawl out when it rains a lot. They love the hot sun, and I don't give them fertilizer, or much water. I did dig some up from the side to move last year and they did OK. (I just hope they come through this awful winter now!) They are a very good backdrop to a sunny bed. Mine don't seem to be very invasive.
    Love the photos! :stew2: :stew1: :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The USDA website doesn't list it as an invasive plant.
    I think pretty much any plant that is given it's optimum growing conditions will spread out and do well and then some will call it invasive. If you are not having any problems with it in your garden then I wouldn't worry about it.
    And it depends on which zone you are growing it in, plants won't grow exactly the same in all zones listed as it's hardiness range.

Moving it now would be better than waiting until later in the season cause the roots are only going to get larger. You might want to deep water it the day before you plan on digging it up. The soil will be more workable if it is moist and doing it the day before will give it a chance to drain off the excess so it isn't a mud hole when you start digging.

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Palustris and Netty, you confirmed some of what I was thinking about their vigor. Thanks for responding.

Kay, I really like them too. I had to use tomato cages and bamboo stakes to keep the flowers from laying over the pathway.

Toni, I agree totally with your assessment on invasive. Thanks for the USDA info. I went ahead and potted some up for "give aways", moved some to the back of a new bed and think some others may get the front yard "tough zone" treatment. I'll have to wait and see which is the best spot for them.

I sure like these "wild flowers", just have to find the right place for them and me. (I hate having to dig and divide every year.) :stew2: