Have A Look At My Melons

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

`Oranje Ananas` is the name of this delicious melon. We tried it a couple of years ago and it was an uphill battle all the way. We tried growing them outside and had to constantly check them for disease, pollinate them, prune them, suppoort the fruits, treat mildew, water them and feed them. All in all it was way too much work for a few small fruits. We even had to cover them with enviro mesh at one point.
    The final impression was that they were a great fruit, but not suitable for the Dutch climate.

Having said all that, I have to say that these lovlies were very sweet and juicy--a delight to eat.

Here is the first one picked and displayed
    [​IMG]
    A couple of hours later he ws on the chopping block
    [​IMG]
    Chopped and ready for deseeding
    [​IMG]
    We sliced it then cut into the slice so that you can bend the rind and eat one bite at the time without getting juice allover our face...
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Lovely! Was the taste worth the effort? I planted some melons in the spring but the bugs ate them off at ground level or maybe it was the birds. Who ever ate them must have enjoyed them at least as much as we would have. dooley

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

They were delightful! :p

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It looks delightful! *drool* We need a greenhouse in order to grow melons. I'm not even going to try to grow them outside.

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Mmmmm, those do look good, and juicy too. Is that a cantelope? I can say there is no way i can grow anything like that up here,,,lol. I would need a very heated greenhouse to pull that off.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, Biita...I don't think that it is a canteloupe, but technically speaking it may be in the family. Inside, it looks and tastes a bit like one...it's just the outdide skin that looks a bit different.
    At any rate it was not billed as one, per se. It was just grouped under the general title of, "Melon" in the catalogue.
    We will try a different kind of melon this year on the "floor" of the greenhouse and see what happens.
    The ones that we will probably choose for next year will be self-pollinating.
    If it doesn't do well, then as far as I'm concerned--I'm finished with melons.

8. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

now that melon certainly made my mouth water. :D

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Mmmm...I love melon! I've been trying to grow them for a few years now and I think I have finally admitted defeat.

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I love melons too and wish I could have sunk my teeth into your one as it looks soooo juicy and delicious!! :stew1:

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How large a crop did you have? It looks delicious, I love to cut them in half, scoop out the seeds and grab a spoon...makes a really good breakfast on a hot morning.

I haven't decided whether to try growing some next year or not. In spring and summer I go to the Farmer's Market and get Pecos Cantaloupes (from the Pecos River valley out in far west Texas) that are sweet enough for dessert, kind of afraid that anything I could grow won't be as good.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I only got four melons of any size. There were other smaller ones, but not serious contenders.

If you grow melons next year, good luck...and let us know how they turn out.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That melon looks so yummy.It is really a nice size one .I think thats what we call a musk melon here.I will have to go and Google it and see.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A musk mellon, Glenda? I think that I have heard the term, but I don't know what that is.
    I am trying the "Watermelon 'yellow baby'" next year. Have a look--you too, Toni:
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/p ... 521/1.html
    We will put it in one corner of the greenhouse and let it grow.

15. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

Mmm, the melon looks so good. I love proscuitto wrapped melon and I will eat a melon salad any day. Yours looks yummy!

16. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That looks like a nice little melon .I prefer yellow meated melons and that one would sure be perfect for me.