Have you ever won anything?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Let's find out who are the lucky ones among us. Personally I don't enter competitions and the likes so I don't win much. I did once win a pair of Bryan Adams tickets once at a nightclub though which I ended up giving to my friend (who didn't go :rolleyes:).

Caption Competitions and 'Pic of the Month' wins can count if you want ::D

2. Loading...

3. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

How 'bout an angel-food-cake in a cakewalk when I was 9? :smt044

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Rarely, but since we do not gamble that is hardly surprising. Many hundreds of years ago in my youth, I went to a dance where every ticket won a prize. As they drew out the numbers people went up and chose their prize from the table. Mine was the last one out. all that was left was a single old wellington boot. Everyone thought it was a huge joke until I pulled a bottle of single malt whiskey out of it. Great, except that I did not drink alcohol. (Still do not gamble or drink now too!)

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

When I was in college, a Speech competition took us to Reno, NV - what another world... I don't take to gambling, but we did like one place done up with traditional carnival booth games and managed to win a boom-box by tossing a ring over a milk-bottle. I still have it, though now it's old enough it is being used in the garage, heh. Never been back to NV.

I did buy a lottery ticket once about twenty years ago - I spent a dollar and won two dollars, so I figured I was ahead and it was time to quit. ;-)

Advertisement
  6. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

In Jr. High School,I won the spelling bee, got name in the paper and a pin, (big deal)years later hubby and I won an all expense paid trip to Las Vegas, plus $500 spending money, which we spent, and hubby won back our last night there, years later he won 2 grand in Vegas, playing keno, and now since retirement we play only penny slots breaking even or winning a little. Several years ago we won an all expense trip to Nashville to the CMA (country music awards) which is televised, and for not really good reason's (my opinion) we blew it off...dumb! oh well, water under the bridge as they say... and now we are old, retired and not expecting to win anymore especially since we do not buy lottery tickets, and do not intend to start.However life is what you make it, and through long hours, and hard work, we made ours pretty darn good!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When I was in 7th grade, the radio station in town had a contest sponsored by Coke. You had to come up with as many words as you could that rhymed with Coke. I had the most and won a carton of Coke and a record album of my choice.

Several years ago I won $110 with a scratch off lottery ticket. $150 on a regular lotto ticket and assorted smaller winnings on them since then.

I won Best of Theme for a wall hanging at a quilt guild meeting many years ago. The theme was Texas and I made mine look like pages from a photo album with pictures of my Great Grandfather and the story of how he made nitroglycerin in his bathtub and shot oil wells.

Honorable Mention in the P&B Textiles, quilt contest with the Thank You Lady Bird Johnson wall hanging.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We don't do the lottery, don't gamble or enter competitions. I don't drink and Ian only likes real ale. Soooo .... getting to the point ..... Ian and I went to a village dance years ago and won a raffle prize - either a bottle of whisky or a 6 foot tall knitted rag doll. We took the rag doll but I'm afraid my two lads (we didn't have Laura at the time) weren't exactly impressed with it so we gave it away. :D :D

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

When I was in 5th grade I won a HUGE stuffed buffalo. Can't remember why :rolleyes:
    I've won half a dozen or so blue ribbons from our county fair for cross stitch and baked goods through the years. This spring I won a $30 gift certificate to a book store at a "SMART READER" appreciation dinner. I don't normally enter contests because I've never considered myself lucky :D Not Unlucky, that's for sure. Don't gamble or play the lottery, Bingo makes me nuts!! If I win an auction on EBAY I'm always happy. My husband just shakes his head and says "Hon, you didn't WIN anything! You BOUGHT something, you didn't win it!" Just depends on how you look at it :D
    Deanna
    :-D

10. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

O well now ya went and opened it to things "won" through skill and hard work. So I shall tell of my deep dark secret from my youth. When I was a mere 16, I "won" the alternate position in the State FFA poultry judging contest. Got to go to nationals. Sadly, my glorious achievement was overshadowed by a), the fact that I was all alone in Kansas City and couldn't afford the twice-daily taxi rides to the convention center and b),around the same time my best friend "won" the title of National Bunny Queen in 4-H. Ah, the glory days...

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have not won anything recently but the last thing I won was a 35mm Minolta Camera playing "Foodland Bingo". I also won a Lil Tykes toybox when my oldest daughter was a baby. Chances are I won't win anything soon as I don't play the lotto or gamble and I stopped entering contests because I was getting too much junk mail.

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I won those tickets to the Stevie Nicks concert. I gave them to Dan because concerts are noisy. I never won anything you could consider worth anything. dooley

13. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I won a bunch of piano contests when I was growing up, and a basketball shooting contest one time. I don't believe I've ever won a material item, however, my son won a basketball hoop at a grocery store, my husband won a tv, and my mom won a washer and dryer, and she gave me the dryer.

14. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I win fairly regularly. Nothing big.At the legion meetings we have a door prize pot. Everyone puts in a dollar and you write your name down by a number. At the end of the meeting they pull a number out and that person wins the pot! I won it once in July about $20, and I have won it at both meetings in Aug. for a total of about $60. I have also won some small amounts from the lottery. $10 or so each time. Oh yes, I won a Pic of the month here too!

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I win the occational small prize in work lotteries and the likes, but nothing big or really worth having.

I'm not complaining, though. I won the Lottery of Love. I've known my husband since age 13. Now we're 43.

16. bethie

bethie Young Pine

A few years ago I won a nice bicycle. They sent it to me and a week later I received another one. Their wasn't really anyplace to send it back to so I sold one and bought a smaller one for myself and hubby kept the original one. :-D