Helleborus - when do they bloom?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Aug 5, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

How is everybody this nice hot hot summer evening? I have a question about the Helleborus Red Lady (Lenten Rose)Does anyone know anything about them?She told me that it just blooms in Dec. Is this right? Doesn't sound right to me.But I don't know. :-? The pic. I have is very pretty, But it has not bloomed this summer, So any info would be wonderful.

Thank you Margie :stew2:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. kate
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Depending on what you climate is like, they can start blooming in December, some don't start blooming until Feb. But for the most part they are finished blooming by May or early June.
    So you will have to wait until late next winter or very early spring to see any blooms.

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Helleborus niger is the so called Christmas Rose. This may in favourable conditions begin to bloom near to the end of December. They are usually white or pale pink. Helleborus x orientalis hybrids, Lentern Roses usually begin to flower in March, but again in favourable conditions could begin earlier. The other species of Hellebores, argutifolis, foetidus, viridis etc flower at various times in Spring.
    If you really want one which defnitely does flower in December and onwards then look out for H. thibetana, but please make sure it is grown from a cultivated seed source as the few plants which were in the wild are being decimated by collectors.

5. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Lenten Rose

Thank you for your answers , I really didn't know,Do you all think I should bring it in for winter? it gets pretty cold here in winter,

Margie :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Well ours survive down to -10c. so decide for yourself. They are pretty tough and they do come from Eastern Europe where the temps do get pretty low. If in doubt you can always cover the plant with leaves or bracken or straw.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'll just add that our Helleborus have survived -15°C / +5F here, with snow cover. I also know that they live through colder temps, since I have garden friends further inland. :D Enjoy your Helleborus. I'm very fond of ours.