Hello from snowy southern Ontario!

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Netty, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hello! Woke up to snow this morning and got mighty depressed that gardening season is over already...then I found this great website and couldn't resist joining!
    I have a big empty yard here that I need to do something with next year. Planted a whole lot of trees this year and did some re-arranging in the existing gardens. I'd like to add a few new beds next year and am looking for some inspiration.
    It's gonna be a long winter so I think I'll cozy up and start reading thru the many posts!

2. Loading...

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Hello from The lower lower States Louisiana I think you will like it here pull up a chair get a cup of your favorite beverage and join the fun

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Netty,
    It's really good to have you here with us at GardenStew. I just know you'll love it here. :-D Is there any chance that you could take some photographs of your garden for us? It would help us to see where those new beds you have in mind would fit in.

5. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Hi Netty, another Louisiana welcome. Would love to see pics of your garden and can't wait to see your new beds. Sorry Netty, this is Cajunbelle, Richard's better half, I forgot he was logged in, I do this all the time. LOL

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Netty I think you've found the right place for the long winter months to come. We can all remind ourselves of what is coming next year. There is no need to fell down about the lack of gardening :)

What part of Canada are you from?

Feel free to add yourself to our member map and add your birthday to our calendar as well :)

Welcome to the Stew!

7. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

And still a third Louisiana welcome, from New Orleans. BUT, I was born and raised in Michigan and love your part of the world.

8. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hiya Netty [​IMG] So glad that you came in out of the cold to join us.

*Brrrrrr* [​IMG] Snow already, huh?
    Makes me feel like a wimp for whining about the chilly weather that blew in here today. [​IMG]

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

A South Central Texas gal here.We have lots of fun and learn so much .If you want to cripe about something we will listen.If you have good news we like to hear about it.come in take your coat off and set a spell. :-D I'm also a redneck ya no.
    We do get a little crazy around here ,just warning you ahead of time. :D :oops:

10. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Welcome from Central Illinois, it is cold here but no snow. Wannabe

11. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Welcome, Netty! Canada is so pretty - glad to have you among us!

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Thank You all for your warm welcome...I feel at home already!
    Cajunbelle and Raggaefan-is that your dog? It is sooo cute! It reminds me of my best friends dog when I was growing up...his name was Kip and he was an Airdale and Shepherd mix. He was so smart and he was our best buddy. Of course that was a L O N G time ago LOL
    Eileen-not sure if I have any pictures that I can post here, I'll see. I have about 2 acres to work with here. We are basically an open space surrounded by farm fields, with very few trees. Since moving in a few years ago, I have added 7 perennial beds and a large veggie garden. Last spring I planted 15 white pines, 3 Larch, 2 Maple and about 15 assorted shrubs. My goal is to break up the yard a bit by making some outdoor "rooms" and making a few private areas. I am working with clay soil, rock, wind and blazing sun (due to the lack of trees) as well as the fact I have well water so I can't water as much as I'd like. I've been working with drought tolerant perennials and so far, it has been working out very well.

13. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Wow, Netty, it sounds like you have quite a garden and also are quite the gardener.

14. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Welcome, Netty. It sounds like you are doing exactly right with your shrubs and trees. Plant as many as you can take care of until you are full up. There are a lot of good gardening projects for winter. Stick around and get inspired. 8)