Hello from Suring Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Wisconsinwench, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Wisconsinwench

Wisconsinwench New Seed

Hello, I am from a small town in Wisconsin, one of those, you blink you miss it and everyone is related to everyone else, except for me since I moved to Wisconsin in '95. I still don't know what will grow good in Wisconsin and survive the winters here. We can get windchills of below 20 and sometimes below 30 degrees.
    I moved here from Oregon where anything and everything grows. I don't have that much of a green thumb. Most plants die unless I want them to die and then out of spite, they seem to flourish. So, I act as though I'm trying to kill the ones actually want to live, and they will thrive.
    I think what I will do now is go through the forums.
    Erika

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Erika, welcome to GardenStew from north Texas.
    We have several members from Wisconsin so they will be able to tell you what plants do well up there. And from what I have seen of their gardens there are plenty of plants that you will be enjoying every year.

Do you have any hobbies or pets? We love to see photos of gardens too so any you have to share will be thoroughly enjoyed by all.

4. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Hi there and Welcome Erika,

Its nice to meet you,

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Erika :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from southern Ontario!

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Hi Erika and welcome to the Stew from a very HOT Texas. Glad you joined us. Make yourself at home.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good to meet you Erika. :-D I love your philosophy about how to make your plants thrive. Maybe I should try it on any future orchids I buy as I seem to murder them all. :rolleyes:

8. Wisconsinwench

Wisconsinwench New Seed

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Yes, if I want my plants to live, I have to make them think I want them to die. My daughter once gave me cuttings from her impatience and boy did mine go wild on me. I had them hanging in front of one my kitchen windows and the grew over the pot and down to the floor. The stalk was thick and strong. Then, I went back home for a visit and told my son to make sure he watered it and kind of forgot. Two weeks later when I came back, they were dead. Apparently, his trying to kill them backfired and they actually died on him. Now I'm going to have to talk my daughter into more cuttings. She wasn't happy when she how mine flourished and her's didn't do a thing, lol.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hi Erika...

I live by Appleton, Wisconsin. I have heard of Suring but I don't think I have ever been there. What is close to you? I have always lived in this area..Nice to meet you...Sherry

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hi Erika...

I live by Appleton, Wisconsin. I have heard of Suring but I don't think I have ever been there. What is close to you? I have always lived in this area..Nice to meet you...Sherry

11. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

Hi Erika,
    I'm in Land O' Lakes, Wisconsin, and understand the small town thing well. You came to the right place, there is much gardening knowledge here. Someone always seems to know the answers to most any question. There is always something interesting to read here.
    Tom

12. jakrum421

jakrum421 Seedling

Hi Erika! I am in Wisconsin too, in a little town between Madison and Milwaukee. But I have some friends that live very near to you in Gillett. We visit that area every summer for a bbq and to float down the river. My best advice to you is to visit a nearby nursery or greenhouse and ask a lot of questions. I do especially well with perennials in our climate. They seem to weather the cold winters and hot, humid summers the best. Good luck to you with your new hobby.

13. Wisconsinwench

Wisconsinwench New Seed

Hi Sherry, nice to meet you too. I guess the largest town closest to me is Shawano. Oconto Falls is about the same distance.

14. Wisconsinwench

Wisconsinwench New Seed

Hi Tom. I grew up on a cattle ranch in Oregon and we always had a vegtable garden, which I hated weeding. I think my mother hated me because she always had me weeding from the rows of corn and all the way to her beans and peas. There were two large sections of her garden area. On the plus side, it was fun eating what ever we wanted from the garden and when the beans came in, we would play a game called beanie champinie and have bean wars, lol Nothing that involved throwing beans at each other but it was fun.

15. Wisconsinwench

Wisconsinwench New Seed

My daughter lives off of the county line road in Gillett, off of CC road or something like that. It's so weird. They have a Ciceil phone number, Oconto falls address in the Gillett school district and the county can't make up their minds on which county plows and repairs the road.