Hello From the Deep South

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by cajunbelle, Jun 5, 2006.

1. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Hello, my name is Sharon. I live in zone 8b, about 60 miles north of New Orleans. I have almost 2 acres of land, which is all clay soil. We are constantly amending it try to make it better. It is really a challenge, especially considering that I grew up on the Mississippi River with wonderful delta soil. I love roses, daylilies, gingers, and canna lilies. I like to try new things and am always pleasantly surprised when they bloom. Even if I only get a few flowers or only one season of bloom I figure it was worth it to see something different. We have 3 dogs, all mixed breeds, and about 20 cats, all altered, except for 2 males which are way to smart for the traps. I also enjoy making garden junk, taking other peoples cast aways and turning them into something unique for the garden.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Sharon, a warm welcome to the Stew! :smt023 Judging by your interests you are really going to have a great time here. There are plenty of rose lovers, dog owners and garden junk makers! :D

Don't forget to add your birthday to our calendar, add yourself to our map and check out the many blogs our members update daily.

Welcome again :D

// Frank

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi there ,Welcome aboard .I'm a garden
    and flower nut .I also love all kinds of yard junk .I'm just not very talented enough to put it together.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sharon and welcome to our forums. :-D You're going to love it here and before you know it you'll be as addicted to GardenStew as we all are. :D

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Welcome from Lafayette, La!!! Finally someone on here from my neck of the woods!

I LOVE roses! And I too have three dogs! But only 2 cats (thank goodness).

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Thanks for the welcome guys. Glendann, check out my totems in the craft section. All it takes is some glass pieces and a little silicone to put them together, then they are displayed on a copper pole. Real easy and very classy.
    Eileen, I really wasn't planning on joining another garden forum, but I really like the look of GardenStew.
    Pinkiered, are we the only two from La? If I am ever in the Lafayette area I'll let you know.

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I think we are...or at least the only two that have spoken up about it! LOL I would love to meet up with you if your ever here! Where do you live? Maybe if Im ever that way, I can pop in to say hi! Or we can do lunch!

9. glendann

Thanks Sharon.I'm not to far from ya'll .I live in Texas .

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Pinkie, I live in French Settlement, in Livingston Parish. It is a very small village, no red lights and we just got our first chain store, a Dollar General. No subdivisions as of yet, but I imagine that will come next. The closest semi-big town to it is Gonzales.
    Glendann, that makes us neighbors. What part of Texas are you from. I have an ex SIL in Marshall.

11. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Welcome Sharon!! Looks like you will fit in perfect on Gardenstew!! We do have alot of fun here!! Everyone is just great!!
    Eileen I love your smiley good morning!!

12. glendann

I live in Madisonville ,Texas .I'm not sure how far Marshal is from here.