Hello, question about storing rose bushes before replanting

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Cherice, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Cherice

Cherice New Seed

Hello Everyone,

My name is Cherice and just joined from Santa Cruz, CA. Just had a question about rose bushes. If you are doing some new landscaping and want to pull them out of the ground for the project, can you store them somehow but not actually replant them right away? I have already pruned them into the winter hybernation state. Thanks for the info.

Cherice

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Last time I replanted bushes, I cut a hole in a bag of earth and just put the roots in there. I stored them in the shade.

4. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi Cherice

First Wallow me to welcome you to the Stew.

I can only speak of experience of the winter rainfall areas (since I am in a winter rainfall area).
    You should not even think of moving your rosebushes during the summer months because the drying effects of the winds that may prevail can be detrimental. Other than that is is usually safe to move/replant your roses.

First you need to remove all the uppermost buds and flowers, avoid taking the long stems.
    Lift the rose bush carefully, cutting back any particularly long roots.

there is no need to take a ball of soil with the roots, but do cover the roots and the lower parts of the stems with damp sacking, as it is even more important to keep them slightly moistened while they are out of their element.

DO replant your roses in their new location as soon as possible, having first removed all leaves, and then 'puddled' the roots by dipping them in a thick muddy solution of water and fine soil.

Firm planting and adequate moisture is vital if your rose is to re-establish itself. Water the soil well if it is dry, and repeat the process of watering after a day or two if you are doing this in dry weather.

Do add a 2 inch mulch layer around the base of your plants to help them retain moisture (Coming from a country where water restrictions are applied - mulching is very important for me.)
    Spray your entire plant with clear water two or three times a week until fresh growth is apparent. then prune any dead shoots, which is usually the result of the inevitable die-back which occurs after re-planting.

Hope you can apply this procedure. - above all I hope it helps. (I see you are from California - also a winter-rainfall area - mediterranean type of climate??)

5. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh gosh, please excuse my funny typing - It is supposed to read

Please allow me to welcome

(I did run a spell check - guess I should have done a grammar check as well.

Advertisement
  6. Cherice

Cherice New Seed

Thanks for the info I greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Cherice

7. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Love roses. Wish you success in your moving them. Please show pictures of them or even some names. Did I say I adore roses.Enjoy nature and enjoy life.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Just want to pop in to say Hello from Wisconsin. I don't have roses anymore but I am sure you will find someone to help answer your question..

9. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

PalmTree you might be a great rose lover for those info. ;) love it!

10. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Thank you so much Blackrose. You are so kind

I am "forced" to know a little bit about roses since my daughter loves the stuff. She does not care much for gardening, but want to keep roses. SInce I am the gardener in the house, I have to take care of them. Man they are so prickly. :-x
    Currently I have to take care of three rose bushed in my garden. :) I suppose I have learnt to live with it.