Hello to all, from Ontario, Canada.

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by hostakeeper, Sep 10, 2006.

1. hostakeeper

hostakeeper New Seed

Hello,
    Canadian here from Ontario, near Toronto. As my username suggests, I grow & adore hostas. I have plenty of shade to contend with and I'm always looking for plants that will make excellent campanions in the shade bed. While hostas do dominate the garden, I also have heucheras, astilbe, hellebores, ferns, brunnera, dicentra, and tricyrtis. I do have some spots that receive sun for a good portion of the day and this is where I plant hemerocallis, asiatic lilies, rudbeckia, echinacea, daisies and whatever else I happen to fall in love with. I'm easily enabled!

Looking forward to much garden talk!

hostakeeper

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi hostakeeeper and it's great to have a hosta lover on the community. We like all sorts here so feel free to tell us all about your habit. We're all ears!

Also feel free add yourself to our member map and add your birthday/anniversaries to our calendar as well.

Welcome to the community ;)

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Hello hostakeeper, and welcome from Louisiana. I have never tried hostas, I think it gets too hot here. Any advice.

5. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

welcome I am glad you are here. Wannabe

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I've been wanting to put hosta under my big tree. In fact, I looked at some yesterday that were half price. But I wasn't sure if I could still plant them this year. Dooley

7. hostakeeper

hostakeeper New Seed

Thank you for the welcomes. Are you sure you're all ears because once you get me going about hostas, you may not have any ears left!
    Okay Cajunbelle, you're zone may present some hosta-growing challenges but I have heard of people being able to grow them. It really depends alot on your winters. The general rule is that hostas require 40 days of temps below 40 F for dormancy. When hostas are allowed their normal dormancy, they return the following year with more "eyes" which equals a bigger plant. If your temps never go down that low for that long, then it's typically not cold enough for dormancy.
    People do persevere and the general consensus has been that the hostas will survive, however they do not increase dramatically.
    Fragrant hostas are known to do okay in the south if you're keen to try growing hostas. Hosta Plantaginea is a wonderful fragrant with beautiful, large white blooms. It is nocturnal, meaning those blooms open at night and will greet you in the morning. Many fragrant cultivars are available that have Plantaginea in their parentage. Here's a list for you:
    H. Honeybells
    H. Royal Standard
    H. Guacamole
    H. So Sweet (and she is sweet!)
    H. Fragrant Bouquet
    and of course H.Plantaginea

This is not a complete list as I'm doing this off the top of my head.

Also, if you decide to plant one (some), put them in the coolest part of your garden, even better a northern exposure would do.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I'm by no means an expert but I read lots, and converse with plenty with other growers.

hostakeeper

8. hostakeeper

hostakeeper New Seed

Awww, thanks wannabe!
    Dooley, YES!!! Go for it but do it soon so they can get settled in before your frost comes (not certain when that is for you). I wouldn't add any artificial fertilizers right now either because they'll be heading into their slumbers soon. Just some compost when planting will do and some mulch at least 3-4" away from the crown.

hostakeeper

9. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Welcome from louisiana

10. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Hi Hostakeeper and welcome. Would like to see pics of some of your hosta's if you can.I have a few hosta's growing too. Fairly easy plant to maintain.
    Cajunbelle I'm in the warm and humid climate zone 8 too. I have planted them in shade, in full sun, just about all around my yard and the ones that grow best for me are in full sun and no shade! Then I also have a couple that will not tolerate sun but no problem with the heat. I'm not a "keep up with variety person." If I like it, I plant it!

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well hello Hostakeeper!!! :D I've only recently bought three hostas for my garden here in Scotland and so - beware - I may be asking lots of questions soon. ;)

Please, please show us some photographs of your garden as I'm dying to see it!!!

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to Gardenstew from north Texas.

I have a large shaded area that I have been making plans to turn into a secret garden next spring and Hostas are top on my plants list for it.
    I tried some Hosta bulbs out there three years ago and was disappointed in the result. Trying to save some money didn't pay off that time so next year I will get the plants instead.

13. hostakeeper

hostakeeper New Seed

Hello Again!
    I got a new digital camera for mother's day and I'm still have issues trying to figure this thing out! I look in the view thingy and all looks good but then turns out blurry. I think I must shake or something, haha. I will get around to taking pictures to show but I warn you, they may not be so great.
    Toni, the idea of a secret garden sounds lovely and what a better plant than hostas ( but that's just me)! I hope it works out for you.
    Eileen, from Scotland eh?! That's on my vacation list for within the next two years. I got into genealogy and discovered a Scottish ancestor, then that got me onto reading about Scotland's history...just fascinating! I can't wait to visit your country and am saving up for it. Now if I could've been a little more tight-fisted with regards to plants for the garden, I would've been over your way last year....oh well!

Respectfully,
    hostakeeper

14. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Welcome hostakeeper!! I planted hostas in my garden last Spring and they didn't do very well by the middle of summer half of them had died!! Then 4 came back this Spring but those have now died also!! I guess hostas are not for my garden!!<sigh> I don't think we have 40 cold days a year here much less below 40!! Which is such a shame because they are really beautiful plants!! I look forward to seeing your pics.

15. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Hostas don't do real well here in New Orleans, but I have planted them in deep shade where they have struggled along. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Jan, the pondlady in New Orleans

16. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Welcome to Gardenstew! I love hostas too. My current favourite is Sum and Substance.

muddy