Help for my soil?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I just had the boxwood shrubs removed from the front of my house that I moved to just before Christmas. Pretty sure they were planted when the house was originally built about 17 years ago, and it doesn't look like whoever lived here before me was much of a gardener so I don't think they took very good care of the soil.

Not that I'm much of a gardener either, I'm very new at this! But I'm trying. A friend whose garden is absolutely gorgeous....lush and verdant with many flower and shrub varieties all of which look fabulously healthy, told me what she uses to condition her soil....equal parts garden or potting soil, Black cow manure, and humus. She mixes it all together and then digs it in. She uses this mixture for all her deck pots (her deck looks like a plant shop by the time she's done!) and also for the annuals she plants every year.

Anyway, she suggested I amend my soil the same way after having the boxwoods removed. Knowing nothing about the subject, I have no way of knowing if it's a good plan, other than seeing the obviously wonderful results in her garden.

What do you all think?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Richie Cooper
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Luna
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Taking the advice of an excellent gardener in your area sounds great. Adding well rotted manure, and compost is always a good idea. Potting soil is generally made up of peat, composted material (humus) and some perlite with slow release fertilizer. The more you mulch with locally available materials the nicer your soil will become with nature doing the work..

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I really need to start creating a lexicon of gardening terms. My head is spinning with terms that haven't been in every day use for me....deciduous, compost and humus, bolting, complete fertilizer (as opposed to what? Fertilizer that's half finished?) peat, corm, panicle, deadheading, raceme........

:headscratch: :shrug:

I'll learn, I know I will. But as with any new endeavor, there's a nomenclature that's unique and I just have to get familiar with it.

Really? Huh! Why is that?

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You asked, "why mulch". Think of soil as a whole bunch of living things. Some people think of soil as a living organism. The more microbiotic life it has in it the more nutrients are available for you plants and the healthier your plants are. Mulch helps the soil hold moisture, prevents weeds, encourages worms and organisms that provide natural fertilizers for the plants. Mulch makes plants happy. It also makes me happy because it gives a tidier look to beds.

Anyway that is my silly way of explaining mulch. I mulch with cardboard and bark for paths and beds because it is organic and cheap in my area. I stay away from non organic mulches, because I have had to remove them. It was hard work. Organic mulches will break down over time and become part of the soil enriching it. This means you will have to add more every few years. Mulch also lets you change your beds as your ideas evolve on how you want your garden to look. My garden/yard looks totally different than it did ten years ago.

I hope this helps a little. Hang in there and just do what feels right to you. You will learn how each little part of your yard/garden will respond growing things, but it won't come over night. I continue to try new plants, because others have died, and try to restrain plants that want to take over. Just enjoy the journey. You will soon become the expert for your little piece of earth.