Help for this Ascot Rainbow/Euphorbia x martinii?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Planted this in the spring. It seemed to take hold quickly when I first planted it, and got somewhat taller. I found a pic of what it looked like after I planted it....

[​IMG]

Since then, the upper stems have gotten brown, like they've died. But there's still some green bits at the very top of each stem. And then lots more new growth at the base of the plant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks ugly and I want to lop off those leggy brown top stems, even though there's a little bit of green still on the tops of those stalks. I want the energy going to the new growth, and not to trying to maintain the dead stuff.

What should I do?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Richie Cooper
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Luna
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I'd cut it back. It looks like it is begging to be dead-headed now that the flowers have passed.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree....just cut off the dead stuff. Leave the green. A beautiful plant, by the way. eet you can take some of the green stuff and start new plants pretty easily for it is a Euphorbia.

5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK, so next question. (sorry I have so many. :oops: )

If I prune it back, where do I cut? Those long leggy stems that have brown leaves almost to the top, then a bit of green right at the end, still have some....I don't know what the word is.....sap? juice? I guess I'm trying to say that they're not all dried out. They're still flexible, which tells me they aren't entirely dead, even thought most of the leaves are.

So you're saying to cut those anyway? Should I just cut right where they start to get the brown leaves?

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cut it to the lower level of green. It will force new shoots from the ground and lower stems nearer to the ground. You will see it quickly.

Here we go again....make me decide to go out and give my greenhouse Euphorbia a chop chop. It's good for them even if they are not all brown. I let them scab and dry on the end for a day or so and then plant the cut off ones in new pots. Soon I have new strong healthy ones. I do keep most of my Euphorbia outside on the patio in the summer.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It is a lovely plant. I like the variegated foliage.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK wait....you're saying that if I take the pieces I cut off (that have the brown leaves on them) and plant them, I'll have new plants? Seriously? :p