Help, I am addicted to digging!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by greengirl, Mar 24, 2013.

1. greengirl

greengirl New Seed

Hello!
    My name is Dakota and I am addicted to digging! My favorite thing to dig is the fresh soil around newly planted flowers. There is nothing better than that soft, cool soil under my toenails! Some days if there is nothing new in the garden to dig I can get some pleasure of digging a series of small holes in the yard, but it is not my favorite! Mom even says I am incredibly fast at digging holes, less they 30 seconds and I can get a good 6 to 8 inches deep, that's good right? Any advice?

PS - I'm the Aussie, and my sister is the black lab, Ahsoka (Mom doesn't know it, but she digs too!) :stew1:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from greengirl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from greengirl's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. cajuncappy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Cute pups! Maybe I could hire them to dig my garden? ;) ;) Perhaps you could set up an area of the yard just for them that theyre allowed to dig in? Dogs also dig because theyre bored, do you walk them regularly? Play with them til theyre worn out (or youre worn out! haha)?
    Ive never really had a problem with dogs digging so I may not be that much help...

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

It would be hard to get mad at those sweet faces :p

I just had a thought or maybe a memory...I had an Aussie pup back in high school. He was quite handsome, his name was Little Joe. He "helped" my mom in the flowerbeds too :D I guess he saw her digging and thought "What are we looking for?"

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ahhh, such lovely pups!
    Dog holes--we had a Golden Retriever who could dig one huge deep crater to lie in, and that was all he was allowed. We negotiated (my position was he wasn't allowed to dig, his position was he was allowed as many holes as he wanted) and came to a mutual understanding.
    There is one thing worse than dog holes, and that is no dog to dig holes. Right now we are dogless, so I really appreciate seeing and hearing about other folks' dogs and their doings. Hug the Aussie and the Lab for me, please!

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

They look like they can get away with a lot of mischief. Perhaps if they learned to dig in a row for planting seeds, instead of naturalizing their holes. Mom might appreciate their excavations.

Jerry

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Do you know where the soil goes when they dig? I can never quite fill the holes back up with dirt. Beautiful fur babies.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What a lovely pair of furry helpers. :D

A friend of mine breeds Aussies and claims they're too intelligent for their own good. :D Labs are smart dogs too. Maybe they need a toy that'll claim both time and intellect.

9. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

Those are great and sweet looking pups. I wouldn't be able to stay mad at them long. Solving the digging problem will take work and time but it can be solved. Try this:
    1- Find a spot where you don't mind them digging. Soften up the soil there, maybe add some peat to make it appealing (Burying dog treats there when training will definitely make it appealing
    2- Watch, watch some more, you need to catch them in the act. When you do, gently scold them for digging in the wrong spot. take them over to the "dog dig" praise and encourage them to dig there!
    This may backfire temporarily (Holy Cow, Master say's I can dig anywhere). But they will eventually get it. Dogs are pretty smart animals (when they want to be).
    I'm not a professional dog trainer so take this advice in the spirit it was given, with the best of intents!

Frank and stratsmom like this.
  10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

They're so cute! Sassy Marie hasn't dug one hole since we've moved to the house. She will lay in a newly dug flower bed once in a while but has never dug up or hurt any plant.