Help me identify my succulent

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Pengriffey, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Pengriffey

Pengriffey New Seed

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think your plant may be Echeveria multicaulis Pengriffey.

4. Pengriffey

Pengriffey New Seed

Thanks a lot Eileen, think you're right. I was wondering about how much I should be watering it - I was told to let the soil stay dry but there are several leaves that are dying (yellowing/browning and brittle). I was thinking of watering it more but I am afraid of overwatering - do you have any suggestions? thanks

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your plant needs regular watering Pengriffey. Once a week with tepid (not cold) water should be enough to keep it thriving for you. Just enough water to dampen the soil as overwatering can be a problem and can cause stem rot. Water less during winter months though. :stew2: Remove any dead leaves as they're not of any use to the plant. I would also think about repotting it as it looks as though it's getting rather 'leggy.'

6. Creationsings

Creationsings Seedling

Echeverias(yes that is what yo have) are a suvvulent plant and should NOT be watered to often..every 10 days is good for them..once a week gives them to much room to rot especially with the fall and winter months coming up now. In the winter you will not want to water more then once every 2 weeks because it will not dry near as fast and cooler temps plus to much water equals rot for succulents.

Also you will want this to be planted in a very well draining mix. They need lots of good bright light, sunlight is good if you can provide it in the winter. If the light is not sufficient enough it will start to elongate. If that happens you can always ct it back in the spring and let it regrow in the sun.