Help....Squirrels broke off sunflowers blooms.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Jul 3, 2012.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

It is so good to be back with you all, I have been off the first part of spring. But I do have a question for you all I have some 10- 12 ft. sunflowers, but the squirrels have got up on top of them and tore the heads of all of them but one, what can i do please.
    margie

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not much you can do. Squirrels look at sunflowers as their own personal buffet and unless the sunflowers are the kind that produce multiple flower stems, the plants are done for the season. If they do have other stems on them, cut off the one the stolen head was growing on and the other stems should put out more blooms.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Not all solutions are practical. A screen box surrounding the flower on a 10-12 foot pole would be an interesting and challenging undertaking. An experiment if only to thwart a pesky squirrel. A easier solution for next time might be a sharp spiked(nails) column surrounding the base of the flower. It is really their flower and you are growing it for them, well at least the squirrel thinks so. Daylight robbers in grey/brown/red/black suits. :-(

Jerry