HELP!! What to do with built-in box!!??

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by vjones, Jun 12, 2008.

1. vjones

vjones New Seed

Hi all,

I'm hoping there are some creative minds out there. We have just purchased a house with this diasterous faux pas in the office. Please view the link for explaination (you may have to copy and paste)
    http://vanessajones.smugmug.com/gallery ... 8751_4cTnp

Bascially, its a built-in box on one side of our office (due to closet on opposite side half a level below). We don't want to knock it out, as its very $$$ and we lose our mud closet. Does anyone have any ideas for what me might be able to do. I thought of putting wood panels and turning into a cabinet type thing, changing it into a seat with cushions, building the wall in to make a built-in wardrobe (but its too overpowering).

Any suggestions are very welcome!!

Cheers,

Vanessa

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

You could turn it into a built in hutch. Have the top finished off with shelves etc. Make is look like it belongs there. fancy it up with trim etc. Everyone could use more storage. have fun with this project. :stew1:

4. egoreise

egoreise Seedling

What a beautiful home!

I think that box is begging to have an art peice displayed on it. Like a statuette or blown glass peice or even framed art on a stand. :) It would be a clean way to display a favorite item.

5. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

The first thing that came to my mind was home theatre with surround sound and a huge flat screen on the box! All the equipment and wiring could be housed in the box. But, I suppose that's not very practical.

6. the designer insider

the designer insider New Seed

Here are some ideas for the box that may help but may be a money issue for you.
    If possible, close off the doorway that goes into the side of the box and do not use. You need to get rid of the view of the side of the box from the foyer. Build another boxed area from both walls to the box and make it useful for a cushioned bench area, desk, bookcase, etc.
    Then build the box up to the ceiling and add a built-in tv or electric fireplace. You can leave space at the top for display. You can use cabinetry or any type of built-ins that may fit your room's function. Paint all the boxed wall area in a darker color that matches your scheme. This will help the box to disappear into the wall and coordinate with your room. You will have a great wall of built-ins when you are finished.