Help with a shrub ID !

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by mart, Jun 18, 2014.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

My friend has it at her house and I don`t have a pic yet. Its a tall evergreen shrub,taller than her door. Small waxy leaves on draping branches similar to how a weeping willow drapes. Its branches are covered with BB size red berries that birds like. The berries are green then turn red. Wer are trying to find out what it is. I have a few small pieces trying to root them but its a woody plant so not sure if it will work. However the berries don`t take root on the ground nor has she had sprouts from the roots so not sure how this thing multiplies. Any ideas folks? Its an eyecatching plant with all the branches draping downward and covered with red berries and shiny green leaves.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Not sure Toni,, those leaves look much larger and couldn`t see if it was a weeping or draping shrub. I have a branch outside I will try to take pics of but its a little dried out. I have been so busy in the garden I haven`t had time to get a pic.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't really have much of a clue without a picture but could it perhaps be a cotoneaster? I have one in the garden that seems to fit your description. It drapes, has white flowers and then red berries and the birds love them.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Weeping Yaupon Holly (Ilex Vomitoria pendula)?

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Don`t have time now but will look up both later. It does not have typical shaped holly leaves. Thanks folks.