Help with back yard redesign

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by EileenT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. EileenT

EileenT New Seed

My back yard needs redesigned and I'm a novice to gardening. I really don't know where to start. I like the idea of a butterfly garden and I like cottage gardens. My space is very tiny but I feel like I can do something. Where do I start?
    EileenT

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'd start by finding out the condition of the soil back there, and how much sunshine there is. Well, the sun might not be an issue for you, even though it is one for me. :D

Then I'd find out which plants would like those conditions, and start to pick from them. If I ran into problems like unknown plants or such, I'd check the PlantStew or ask the Stewbies, or maybe both.

A small space can make a lovely cottage garden, with plants that are attractive to butterflies. Good luck with your planning!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most definitely find out about the condition of your soil so you can amend it if necessary before planting.
    Also like Droopy mentioned, check out how sun and/or shade the yard receives. Full sun is at least 6 hours of sun a day, is it morning sun or afternoon sun? Does the space contain a tree now? That will determine how much shade your garden will get too.

Make a list of plants you like. A cottage garden should have plants that are your favorites as well as the old fashioned ones if they will grow in your space.

Before planting you could measure your space, plan paths. Places for a small bench so you can sit out in the amidst the flowers to enjoy your garden to the fullests and birdbaths and birdfeeders to the birds can also enjoy your garden.

And please remember to take pictures so we can enjoy the creation of the new garden along with you.

5. EileenT

EileenT New Seed

Thanks Droopy and Toni. The soil is definitely a problem as this property was an old orange orchard at one time and the soil is like clay. So that needs work. I don't want grass, just gardens and paths. I also have a ledge with retaining wall and am thinking of what I can plant up there. At the base of the wall is a small patio area that's a mess right now.

I'm going to draw up some plans and start looking at plants.

EileenT

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I like to spend some time a the Bookstore looking at pics in books in the garden design section. Gives me an idea of how I want my space to feel.