Help with caring for my mums after a heavy frost

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by SongofJoy57, Nov 17, 2007.

1. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

When and how do I care for my mums now that we have had a heavy frost? Do I cut them back? Do I cover them? I am in Zone 6+7 . . . (In the foothills of NC) Appreciate any guidance that you can provide. :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Richie Cooper
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Luna
      Replies:
      Views:

3. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

:-D EUREEKA!!!! :-D

Source: http://landscaping.about.com/od/landsca ... hemums.htm

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Glad you found what you were looking for SongofJoy. I was just about to offer the very same advice!

5. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Thanks Netty.
    It is very cold here tonight. I have been down in my back since Wednesday morning, and can't do much without hurting all over. And I have taken off next week to give my home a good going over before the holidays! :( I hope a get back to normal, (and this is not my "new" normal.) I gathered pine straw from the woods and tried to cover them the best I could. I bet it is really cold there. Sleep Warm. Blessings.

Advertisement
  6. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

No frost on my mums yet, but I don't cut them back I'm in MS where the winters are not severe. I clean mines up early spring when I see the first new growth. I divide the larger clumps at this time also. My mums have a hard time through the hot dry summers.

7. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

:stew1: Thank you D2D. This is actually more practical than what I found on the website. I consider myself a Southern Girl too, (although I am not located as far South as you.) I love looking at your other site, and enjoy your musings. I, too, have hot dry summers here . . . this year has been the worst I've seen in my 50 years. I have mums in the yard that did not do so well, but I put my new mums in concrete planters off my steps, and really paid attention to watering them every few days in early morning with a watering can. (that way they still had to go down with those roots a little, and work to find that water!) It seems that these did better. I was concerned that because they are not down in the earth, they might freeze . . . so we will see. You don't know how much I appreciate your answer . . . you see my mama and sister have passed, and it's hard sometimes because I don't have a real close person that I can ask things anymore. (My aunt has her own children, and I try not to bother her too much.) This site and the people here really mean more to me than they could possibly know. I miss my women kinfolk. When I plant something I do it for my mama and sister too, and can imagine them watching over me and my garden. That may sound crazy, but this is my way of coping. Well, I have bent your ear too long. Hope your day is full of extra blessings. Love, Me :stew2:

8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I do not customers' old growth on mums until the next Spring.