Help with id of butterfly NE Scotland

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by varisian, May 18, 2011.

1. varisian

varisian New Seed

I've tried several online sources to find this butterfly without success. any help would be greatly appreciated.

[url=http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/garden-image.php?image_id=23772&user_id=12552][img]http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/img/ps-garden/23772.jpg[/url]
    ( photo / image / picture from varisian's Garden )

[/img]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks like a female Small White butterfly (Pieris Rapae) to me varisian. It is distinguished from other white butterflies as the female has dark markings on the forewings (as in your picture.) There is a spring and summer brood - the latter being the more heavily marked of the two.
    This butterfly's larvae I'm afraid to say is a serious pest of brassica crops.

Frank likes this.
  4. varisian

varisian New Seed

Thanks very much. My main interest is birds and it is great to be able to differentiate sexes of butterflies.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It is beautiful..I have seen one sulphur here in Wisconsin so far and that is all. We haven't had much of a spring with the wind and chilly weather with an occasional warm day here in Wisconsin.

6. GMB27

GMB27 Seedling

That is a lovely looking butterfly. We get quite a few dont in the southwest of England but only in the warmer months.