Help with my Marigolds

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Mrs. Galeassi, May 10, 2012.

1. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Hi everyone, I was hoping for a little insight into my marigolds. I have 7 plants total placed in various areas in and around my garden and they are different types. I have 4 in a bed with herbs and a couple of veggies. They are just doing great, they are in the ground, the foliage is thick. These ones are solid in color and smell great, lots of blooms. Now I have 3 planted in pots, These ones do get more sun, they are the ones that are multi-colored they still smell great and they are blooming just not as much and there foliage is bare. So my question is why the difference in growth? Is it because they are potted? Or because of more sun? Or is because they are a different type of marigold? Thanks...... Mrs.Galeassi

[​IMG]
    Multi colored marigolds ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Yellow Marigolds ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Marigolds ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

Theodoros likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Richie Cooper
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Luna
      Replies:
      Views:

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I would say yes :p Aren't I a lot of help? I think they probably retain more water in the ground and the roots have more room. Plus, there are several different kinds of marigolds. You might have one of each species :-o I think Carolyn would know for sure!

Mrs. Galeassi likes this.
  4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Yeah I'm sure they are all different kinds. I got the orange ones at walmart and the rest at home depot. They had alot of different ones at home depot and they had ones that were gorgeous but had no smell... I just picked randomly! lol Thanks anyways.. I think I'm going to go take a pic of the sad foliage on them now to add on here... Might help more...

5. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Now that i just took a better look its only 2 of them that the foliage is not full and has some weird discoloration. Of course all the pics above are the healthy ones... Such a ditz sometimes. Got pics will add now..

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am not sure what is "wrong" with them they really look like they have some burned foliage to me. I would pick it off and put that in the trash and then see if they improve. they may have gotten too dry at one point and the edges of the leaves were damaged beyond rehydration. good luck.

7. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mrs. G. I don't think you need to over worry on the marigolds. The red on the foliage looks as if there could be a nutritional deficiency of potassium, but they usually recover and look fine later with out a whole lot of fuss.

9. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I'm really new to this(gardening) and I actually have done alot of research to make sure what plants are good companions and what benefits they offer your garden. I planted these to attract lady bugs who in turn eat the bad bugs. But i never gave much thought to disease and I may be worrying a bit now every time I see any spots. Just thought that purple on the leaves might mean something. But thank you for taking a look.

10. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Oh I have been adding rotten bananas to the soil of them all. I've also used some compost. What do you suggest I can give them to help with nutrients? I was reading about a spray bottle fertilizer that's organic at home depot, but since all my plants are new I was unsure.