Help With Petunia Seeds

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Sixlittlekitties, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Sixlittlekitties

Sixlittlekitties New Seed

Alright...I am new to forums and learning how to grow seeds from scratch so I need lots of help here.

I have a few petunias I purchased and I understand I can develope the seeds myself for next year.

I so far understand that you remove the spent flower part but leave the "base" the flower was in so that the seeds can develop.

What I can't figure out is what exactly do the seeds look like to start with and exactly when do I remove them from the petunia.

Are the seeds the black specks when you remove the flower or the one lone "thing" (tan and hard) that I find later.

Also...do you remove the seeds when you remove the flower (I've heard to leave the "base" for the seeds to develop) or do you wait until the "base" completely dries up like a leaf or what exactly.

I would appreciate ANY help someone could give me on this one.

Thanks a million in advance!!!

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I would let the flower fall off naturally. Then keep watch on the plant, it should form a small round tannish seed pod. Inside the seed pod will be lots of tiny black seeds. Don't squeeze the pods until you have them over something to catch the seeds bc they will go every where. Hope this helps.

4. Sixlittlekitties

Sixlittlekitties New Seed

Well that helps me a little bit at least.

So now I know to look for a small tannish pod....can you give me an idea of how "small" is small since I have found this small tiny tiny tannish thing that is as hard as a rock so I assumed it was a seed but it was to hard to break.

Also, could you tell me about how long after the flower has fallen off naturally that I should be seeing a tannish pod AND how long after the flower has fallen off to when the pod should be removed?

Thanks a lot...already helped me some.